Marvelous Mystery Oil

Well gee if it’s been around since 1923, why wouldn’t it be good for a high compression, fuel injected, dual cam, tight spec, modern engine? I’ll check my owners manual to see if they recommend it. Oh it’s trans fluid? Never mind.

Harvey joined the forum 4 hours ago, just to rave about Marvel Mystery Oil :smile_cat:

I’m not exactly a believer in the stuff, but we actually keep it in stock, at work.

I’ll use it very rarely, such as on repairs when I’m replacing blown head gaskets or disintegrated intake gaskets. After the repair, I’ll add some to the crankcase, idle the engine until it’s at operating temperature, and then drain the oil and replace with fresh oil and a new filter. I’ll watch the oil while it’s draining, but I’m not convinced it’s really cleaning out anything

I haven’t had any luck freeing up sticky lifters with the stuff, either

And not written very well .

2 Likes

And, exactly where should we stuff it?
Please be aware that the nature of your response could result in your banishment from this forum.
:thinking:

1 Like

I tried it on a truck I bought with a 350, per the advice of an old mechanic that has since passed away. I only had scrap value in the truck anyway, so why not. A lifter (I guess?) would stick on that truck at cold start. If you revved the engine hard the ticking would get louder, increase with speed, then stop. I assume it broke loose with enough force / rpm.

When you changed the oil, the ticking would come back. A pretty severe tick too. Drain out some oil and pour 1/2 quart or so ATF in, and the ticking would slowly get fainter and disappear with the engine at idle. Sea foam worked as well, but ATF is cheaper and I felt maybe better on the engine long term. I ran it with a little ATF in the oil for 10k miles. Each oil change (3k mile interval), I’d leave out the ATF, ticking would resume, and I’d pour some ATF in to stop the tick.

The old mechanic said ATF had more detergent. I have no idea. Maybe it just thinned out the 5w30 enough to make something inside the engine happy. I sold the truck for $1800 more than I gave for it, informing the new owner of the tick and the ATF.

@Harvey_Manwarren , welcome to the community. It’s hard to tell because we’re just meeting you and you seem to be a man of few words. If you did use
the product and want to keep talking about it. Funny that a thread that is nine hours old can sometimes pick up as seamlessly as one that is nine years old.

I’m not convinced Harvey is here to shill for the marvelous oil, but I’ve been wrong before.

That’s not the way I took it, @VDCdriver. I thought he meant just plain stuff. I’m skeptical of the stuff he told us about, and the name is incorrect.

Are you really working tonight? Double time I hope. Happy New year anyway.