Low bridge in North Carolina

Years ago when I worked in a dealership in the midwest, we got a regular delivery of new cars. However this time, the tops of all the vehicles on the top row were sheared off. The truck driver went under a bridge too low about 10 miles outside of town.

After the investigation was finished, the problem was with the road signs which stated the clearance height for the bridge. The bridge clearance was actually lower than what the road signs indicated.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen that before. The height was accurate until the town repaved the road which raised it 3-4 inches.

Iā€™m also amazed the tops of those vehicles were sheared off without them being torn off the truck.

1 Like

As the real pay for truck drivers has continually dropped over the last 50 years and the need for drivers has increased, there are a whole lot of bad truck drivers out there. And a whole lot of nad trucking companies.

Agree pay has not kept up with the timeā€™s as far as bad driverā€™s go it used to be you had to know how to drive to get a job now all you have to do is go through truck driving school (not sure how long 4 to 6 weekā€™s I think) then about 6 weekā€™s with a company trainer that is mostly learning company ruleā€™s and policies before you are turned loose on your own All that doeā€™s is give the basicā€™s in driving with no real experience in driving.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen that before. The height was accurate until the town repaved the road which raised it 3-4 inches.
I have also seen that many timeā€™s over the yearā€™s you would think the DOT would notice and redo the numberā€™s after the first truck hit it.