Looking for a used vehicle for the Right of Way

This sounds just like what Jeep Wranglers exist for.

How many miles do you typically travel on a ROW during an inspection tour (roughly)?
Do you enter and exit the drive in the same spot?
Do you do these inspections under a wide range of weather conditions?

To the ROW: 20 to 80 miles a day.
On the ROW: 2 times a day x 2 site visits x less than .5 miles in = 2 miles at most (typically). Nearly all the section lines have roads, and nearly all those are accessible.

Normally you enter and exit the same spot.

Rain can get a day called, but not much else. Snow or freezing temperatures don’t stop work.

I keep going in circles. Tahoe/Yukon then Cherokee then Xterra.

Of that grouping, the cherokee has the biggest aftermarket. Parts and repair information are plentiful. You cant have your cake and eat it too - meaning, the right tool for the job is going to cost a little extra in gas. Jeeps arent terrible. Those inline 6’s are very peppy as well.

If you like the Tahoe best, and it seems like you do, buy it. What do the other guys drive?

Funny. I did some more research on the Xterra, and while they have had their issues, some years seem pretty good, and if I could find it, they have manuals that get pretty good gas mileage.

It may just come down to what I find locally. but right now I am thinking in order of preference,

1. xterra - manual with the offroad package
  2. jeep - i6
  3. tahoe /yukon- z71 (would be nice to find one without leather, but those are rare)

Any advice on what else to look for?

As far as what others drive F-series and 1500/2500 truck. Trucks, trucks everywhere. People spending good money after bad, making a utility a luxury. If I could get away with a dirt bike and a sedan, I would.

@Fender1325‌

“The only gripe with the 5.4 and 4.6 power plants is that if somebody didnt torque a spark plug perfectly when replacing, theyve been known to blow out the threads.”

I have to partially disagree with you on that one

We have tons of Fords in our fleet, most of them with the Triton V8 and V10, both 2V and 3V

The 2V Tritons will blow plugs no matter what. Even if you did everything correctly, including torquing them properly. If they’re going to blow, they’re going to blow. But if they do, just put a timesert in it and call it good . . . for that plug hole anyways. You might well be doing the one right next to it the next week. Part of the problem seems to be that the original design only has a few threads in the hole. The timesert has several more threads, and is thus stronger than the original design.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I’d say I have the numbers to back my position

If you buy an Xterra with an automatic and multi mode low transfer case, why would you need a manual transmission? Also, most of the reviewers recommend finding one with the PRO-4X package. Four Wheeler says:

The Staff’s Top Four-Wheel-Drive Stockers
Chevy Blazer
Dodge Ramcharger
Ford Bronco (early or late models)
Ford Ranger
Hummer H1, H2, H3
International Scout
Jeep (any early model!)
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon (2- and 4-door)
Military Surplus Trucks
Nissan Frontier
Suzuki Equator
Suzuki Samurai
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Pickup (early solid axle)
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Toyota FJ 40
Almost any 3/4 or 1-ton single rear wheel 4x4 pickup

From: http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/131-0908-best-stock-off-road-vehicle/#ixzz3IPTLun00
Follow us: @fwmag on Twitter | fourwheelermag on Facebook

@DuluthSuperior You mentioned the Suzuki Grand Vitara. I’d suggest staying away from anything that is no longer imported. I like Hudsons and Nashes, but their parts are sure hard to find.

I’d suggest a drone with a good camera if all you going to do is patrol. If you have to fix the leaks you find, that’s another matter.

Check with the government to make sure you can use a drone if that is what you do. I would imagine that you have to do an in person inspection for your work, though.

I don;t understand why no one has mentioned the best vehicle for the job, a Jeep Wrangler

The Jeep Wrangler is probably a great option. They tend to hold value so don’t expect it to come at a cheap price. I would personally consider an older 4WD full size pickup. I would probably get a 2500/F250 class due to the extra ground clearance. I have an older F250 that I use as my winter truck and for firewood. I put it in low and just creep over logs and stuff. Something like this is probably great for your needs and wouldn’t be too expensive. Don’t be concerned with cosmetic damage. You can get a better deal on ones with that kind of damage and you will no doubt sustain this type of damage anyway.

“I don;t understand why no one has mentioned the best vehicle for the job, a Jeep Wrangler”

Because you didn’t read Page 2?

;-]

It sounds like he may have to drive some highway miles to get to the sites. the Wrangler is a champ off road, but stiff, loud, and poor riding on the road. If a Tahoe or like can handle the inspections, they will be much more pleasant to drive the rest of the time.