Living with a car's oddities, peculiarities, and anomalies

Those old Honda carburetors were about the most over-complicated pieces of crap ever built A thouand screws, miles of vacuum lines, and a case of sir bleed solenoids.

When I worked for Honda one of those carbs would come in and now and then and there would usualy be a collective groan over the poor soul who was about to get saddled with it. I’ve been through them but not willingly or happily. Even worse was when someone in the past had jets and air bleeds in the wrong place, wrong vacuum line routing, and parts missing.

Years after my 1976 Civic CC was gone, I did do carb rebuilds for Toyota 20R and 4AC engines. They were complicated enough for a beginner. If I’d tried the Honda first, with its pair of complex carbs, I might have been way over my head back then. I might have stayed with bicycles and missed out on car work.

I never had to go beyond spraying into the idle mixture hole.
I had an '81 Accord. Got a non-CVCC head with bigger valves, Weber carb, bigger cam, re-curved distributor, lightened flywheel, and 4 into 1 tube headers.
Naturally, all this brought the transmission’s limitations front and center: blown bearings every 2 years.