Lifespan of an Automobile ...agree /disagree

I highly doubt that there was any problem with steel manufacture. Auto frame steel is a low alloy carbon steel. Carbon is the only element that has a tendency to segregate, but at about 0.3% carbon, segregation is a minor issue.

Whatever it was, donā€™t worry about it. :slight_smile:
I promise not to!

Have you seen the way it flakes apart and grows in size and separates? What other process would cause the grain of the steel to separate?

What about plain old oxidation? Find some micro graphs of a36 steel and you will see that there are plates inside the grains. The chemical composition of those plates is different from the remainder of the grain. If air can get to the boundaries of the two iron phases, a galvanic cell is set up and rust can start. Note that air must be involved, and that means the paint is gone. Peeling paint is almost always due to poor surface preparation. If this occurs under paint, that means the oxidation present before painting was not removed and again, it is poor surface preparation.

1 Like

Some, perhaps many of those cars going down I-35 are only passing through Mexico on their way to Central America.

The limits in imports to Mexico under Mexican import laws are the only reason my 2002 Sienna with 221,000 miles on it is not my daily driver.

If you live in the rust belt you canā€™t imagine why anyone would get rid of a rust free car.

Well if Dana Corp was ruled out since they were the ones responsible for making the frames and coating them, Iā€™m not sure how it could not be the steel? My brotherā€™s Ford is just as old with his frame coated in surface rust and his hasnā€™t started to separate at the grain of the steel like mine in some areas. Wouldnā€™t complete surface rust be void of any protective covering and rust just as fast?

Toyota used thinner steel on their pickup framed than the big three. When I hauled cars in the mid eightys you had to be careful tying down Tundras so as not to bend the frames.

13 - 15 years may be ā€œaverageā€ but averages seldom apply to your situation.
We have two Fords ā€“ a '98 Ranger and a '96 Explorer. Both are running fine and weā€™d have no hesitation about taking them on a cross-country trip or into an inner city at night. We neither neglect nor abuse them, have maintained them by the book, regularly inspect them for rust, and have consistently used the same trusted service department for years. We regularly inspect them for rust and have removed rust as early as possible, in the few times we have noticed it. They are basically simple cars without all the exquisite electronic gadgetry that can easily fail and be expensive to replace,and they donā€™t have annoying rattles or bumps that make us wish we had something else. We will eventually replace them only because new cars are so much safer.
On the other hand, we have owned two European cars and a Chevy that began costing us a small fortune in repairs and failed before they hit the ten-year mark, despite our best efforts. Youā€™ve got to know when to cash in your chips, and we got rid of them pretty quickly.

So in summary, if you want your cars to last, weā€™d suggest you maintain them well, find a prevention-oriented service department, fix things while they are small, and buy a fairly simple car without a lot of finicky gear.

1 Like

I canā€™t agree more with your post!!! Gadgets and 'new" engineering designs at often full of flaws. Years ago a friend of my wife had a new Nissan Maxima bought for her by her loving husband. It had those push button combination door locks, which quickly failed in the very cold weather we have here. After $2800 in repairs for the driverā€™s door alone, she got something simpler and of a proven design.

Simple rules:

1. Buy a proven design from a reputable manufacturer.
  2. Buy the simplest model to fit your needs.
  3. Maintain it well and check fluids regularly.
  4. Repair with quality parts and use a reputable shop.

My sister did all that and bought a 2000 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder model with only the basic options. Sheā€™s still driving a 100% reliable vehicle.

3 Likes

Itā€™s refreshing to read these last two comments, having taken heat in the past for wanting a car with a manual transmission, manual crank windows, and manual door locks.

Unlike @satisficer, I do abuse my car, which is why itā€™s an eyesore, but I still religiously maintain and repair it.

Iā€™m glad to find a friendly audience who agrees with me that things like a sun roof and heated seats usually amount to extra headaches.

The maintenance is important.
I have a dream that I could own a new car. But I wouldnā€™t drive it. Just appreciate.Lol

FWIW, there is a new article in USA Today about the Tacoma/Sequoia frame rust class action suit. It was settled today. This is for 2005 to 2010 Tacomas and 2005 to 2008 Sequoias. You can read the article at USA Today or do a web search for pRticulars if any are available.

1 Like

I too like things simple. Iā€™d be very happy just to have a new car exactly like my '76 Corolla. That was a great car.

I keep the options to automatic, air, power windows, power door locks and cruse. All proven items.

Interesting! The only car I actually had a affection for was a 1936 Chevrolet. That car felt like a personal friend. But, it was just too old and gave me a lot of grief. Selling it was like putting an old and much loved pet to sleep, but it had to be done. That would certainly be fun to have a new 1936 Chevrolet.

I know cars of that generation could be reliable. One of the WWII fighter heroes went to the Florida Navy flight school, though the well known name of the community slips my mind. Edited: Pensacola. Almost every weekend he was driving home to North New England to visit his girl friend. On those old highways. Once he had trouble and got back late in the day on Monday, and expected to be cashiered out. Something had happened and he was not even missed because it was a no-fly day.

He drove all day and night, from Friday until early Monday morning, spending no more than 2 or three hours with her, in a late 30ā€™s or early 40ā€™s Ford. If you have owned a car of that era you wouldnā€™t even think of doing something like that today even on modern highways. The metal gets brittle when it gets old, I guess.

Not all of us!

Yup!
That is also the way that I operate when it comes to cars.
:slight_smile:

Now that Iā€™m retired I like to buy new and trade in four years as soon as the bumper to bumper runs out. Something to be said for having a warranty where theyā€™ll come get you 400 miles from home, provide lodging, and a loaner car with a smile. My cousin used to say ā€œI donā€™t mind problems when Iā€™m workinā€™, but not when Iā€™m playinā€™ā€. Now that Iā€™m playing full time, I donā€™t like problems.

I just mentioned this in the battery thread, but this morning I had to push start my motorcycle. Iā€™ve never tried to do that with my car, but I like knowing I can if it comes to that.

I do miss having air conditioning in my car, but I donā€™t really like having it on an economy car with a small engine. It puts too much strain on the engine. Iā€™d rather have an industrial-size pickup or an old police cruiser engine turning the compressor on a hot Florida day.

A ā€œmajor repairā€ often involves body damage from a collision, even though the mechanics are still fine. Been there.

1 Like