"Left lane bandit" gets ticket

jtsanders wrote:
I don’t see why she can’t ride in the left lane. It is legal in MD to pass on the right. Why does someone feel like they have to pass on the left?

Passing on the left is safer. There’s a reason many states are finally getting around to enacting keep-right laws, even if they’re not enforced as much as many of us would like.

jtsanders wrote:
I see lots of people passing on the right on I-95.

What happens on that part of I-95 should not be held up as a good example of how to drive!

Pet peeve of mine is getting behind someone on the on-ramp and they’re only doing 45mph. The traffic is doing 65, easy, and you wanna be 20mph slower than them when you merge into their domain?
I’ve been known to pass these people, if traffic allows me to, before the lane fully merges onto the freeway.

“What happens on that part of I-95 should not be held up as a good example of how to drive!”

I don’t mean it that way. Since when do good drivers pass on the right, in the rain, at 80?

“Passing on the left is safer.”

But it is impractical to have a low like this where traffic is as heavy as it is on I-95 between DC and Baltimore. It’s often 4 lanes of parking for miles at 3PM.

“Usually, back East, traffic is so heavy ALL the lanes are full to capacity and the term “passing lane” becomes theoretical.”

I agree. It’s hard to imagine when The Perp was able to go 65 around Laurel. Maybe after 8PM. I guess I get to 65 at 6AM, too. But I’m often stuck in a rolling back-up at that hour, too.

I once drove from Denver to Boston and not a single car passed me in the left or right lane over a distance of 2200 miles…But I was a lot younger and had a fast car…The right lane is for trucks and people who drive at truck speeds. The left lane is for the rest of us…I’ve never been accused of obstructing traffic…