Lee Iacocca

@mperry_153483

Naw the Renegade is made in Italy unless they changed something. Made along with the Fiat 500.

The vehicle is built in Melfi, Italy (alongside the related Fiat 500X); Goiana, Brazil (alongside Jeep Compass and Fiat Toro); and in Guangzhou, China. Standard Renegade models come with front-wheel drive, with four-wheel drive available on Sport, Latitude and Limited trims.

OK, I was referring to the Fiat 500… built in Mexico for N America. The Renegade and 500X are the same car underneath, and are made in Italy, but I think that’s the only models made there. (The Renegade isn’t a “real” Jeep… just an exceptionally ugly car.)

Even editorial cartoonists are paying tribute to the late Mr. Iacocca.

Not widely known is that Iacocca back in the 70s was vehemently opposed to the use of airbags in cars as he felt it added too much to the production costs.

It’s those kinds of stains on his career that kept him from being a truly great man.

It’s weird how all the tributes I hear on the radio don’t mention the Pinto.

I remember the Chrysler K-Cars. I still occasionally see one on the road, just as I occasionally see a Spirit/Acclaim or Shadow/Sundance. The styling has really held up, even more than 25 years later.

Actually, the Pinto wasn’t a bad car for the time. Remember the VW Beetle had its gas tank just behind the front bumper. Today, the Pinto seems like a terrible car, but remember that the Pinto came out in 1971 which was 48 years ago. Think about how a 1923 Model T Ford would have seemed in 1971.
I have also seen a lot of criticism of the K-cars on this board. I drove quite a few miles in K-cars from my university’s fleet. I drove to conferences which involved a 600 mile round trip. I drove to a military base 60 miles away to teach a statistics class. In my opinion, the K-cars were much more comfortable than the Chevrolet Citations and Ford Tempos in the fleet.
The airbags were quite controversial when first introduced. In fact, there are still issues today.

Decent cars for the average buyer but not as good as a Toyota or Honda in our experience. A relative did have several Dodge Spirit’s since they were the only small car with a bench seat that worked better for the elderly passenger.

We had a 1988 Plymouth Grand Voyager that we were in love with on the 3,000 mile road trip when it was new and kept it in the fleet until 2010 when it was used for storage instead. Still ran and drove but we didn’t trust it to go a couple miles down the road without something going wrong.

Let’s see if I can do this. A real Jeep by AMC?

1 Like

Well, since American Bantam–the actual designer of the original Army Jeep–is long gone, as is Willys Motors, at least AMC hasn’t disappeared from the scene for quite as many years as the companies that previously owned that trademark.

In any event, the Fiat-based Jeep Renegade is nothing more than a Faux Jeep.

1 Like

I think all so called jeep’s since the willys & amc are imposter’s.

1 Like

Yeah, point was there are no “real” Jeeps anymore. Just the name and the grill. So they are all cars/wagons.

1 Like

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/03/business/lee-iacocca-death-chrysler.html

The CJ is a newer generation of the old WWII Jeep. I’d count that as close enough. Also, Willis-Overland manufactured Jeeps during WWII, the other was American Bantam. Maybe we should call American Bantam by its original name, American Austin.

I’m not going to pay and/or create an account to read that NY times article

2 Likes

Do you think that there is a market for a WWII vehicle? All vehicles must evolve to remain relevant. The 1993 Grand Cherokee was well received as a comfortable 4WD vehicle. The Jeep vehicles today must compete with all other SUVs on the market, the Honda HRV is in no way similar to the war vehicle you drove so many years ago…

Amercan Bantam did not actually manufacture many Jeeps. Because of their limited production capacity, the majority of the Army Jeeps during WW II were made by Willys and by Ford. To compensate Bantam for their contribution to the war effort, they were given a contract to manufacture small trailers that could be towed behind the Jeeps.

1 Like

You don’t have to: you can right-click, save it, read the copy. This only matters if you’ve already read 10 articles this month, which proves you are reading some articles @nytimes.com

I can’t imagine reading any NYT articles but 10 a month is pretty good. The Minneapolis paper gives you one. Then if there is something else you want to look at, you have to do a new incognito window for each article. And I’m not about to pay $10 a month for the privilege. Even the St. Paul paper has gotten in the act but I think their system is less reliable. Most of the non-print media sites though are still free unlimited. I understand the need for these folks to try and augment their falling sales but geez most of the articles are just reprints from the WP, AP, or Forum. I’m not interested in that, just the local comments but it’s not nicknamed the Red Star for nothing so you take with a grain of salt and go someplace else to see the other side.

yes, I’ve exceeded my limit of 10 ny times articles

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: