Leak around timing cover

My info from Rock Auto shows that this engine has a timing belt. Or at least that is what Rock auto shows for this vehicle.
They only list one engine…the 2.4 H4 DOHV engine or the 2.4 H4 Turbo.for the 2011 Forseter.

This is why I reccomended that the dealer do the work for free…if you really want this car.

Yosemite

I just checked Rockauto.com, and I also only see a timing belt, not a chain

Partsgeek.com shows the same thing, for both naturally aspirated and turbocharged engine

As expected, the water pump is driven by the timing belt, so it would be fairly expensive, if you were to address this problem in the . . . IMO . . . correct manner

This would seem to be a case of a first owner offering the car for sale BEFORE doing the timing belt job. Nothing wrong with that, just saying. I know lots of people that sell cars, RATHER than doing needed and/or upcoming repairs/maintenance. I suspect they’ll balk at lowering the price. Maybe they’ll just hope that somebody shows up and pays the asking price, without getting it inspected

Don’t worry about the leak…he’ll probably get a new engine when he runs it out of oil:

;-]

1 Like

Since it has been determined that this vehicle does indeed have a timing belt and not a timing chain, my previous comments are not relevant.

The 2011 Forester came with either the new FB25 2.5L naturally aspirated engine equipped with a timing chain or the 2.5L turbo charged engine, a carry-over equipped with a timing belt.

In that case, the RockAuto site is incorrect.