Late 60s Mustang and Safety?

“It’s why your insurance costs so much.”

It’s why OUR insurance costs so much.

It’s kind of hard to tell the creeps what filth they are when they include your relatives, coworkers, and even your supervisor at work . . .

LOL . . . ?

1 Like
"If they would have kept the engine in that Bel Air, it would have crumpled that Malibu."

But…a car that acts like a rigid battering ram is almost always one that causes more harm to the people riding in it, due to its inability to absorb & disperse the force of impact. Every time that I hear people brag about how their old cars suffered very little damage upon impact, I remind them of the much higher death toll in the days of very rigid automobiles.

In any event, whether that old Chevy still had its engine or not, and whether it was able to crush the Malibu or not, the fact remains that the interior of the old Chevy was an absolutely hostile environment in the event of a collision, and its passengers would not fare well in comparison to the passengers in a modern car.

You can say anything you want as long as you say it right. The best way to pull it off is in a group so that the criminal can’t know who ratted on him. Something like “Isn’t that fraud, and isn’t that a crime? I would be too worried about going to jail to do that.” Maybe that’s enough to stop them. If not, calling the police is an option. You don’t have to give your name to make a report, but I don’t thonk the police are obligated to identify you if the fraudmeister or his lawyer asks.

Insurance companies are big boys and they have people that investigate and prosecute fraud. They also have a pretty good idea about who is commiting fraud on their own. But before someone can be prosecuted, there needs to be a lot more evidence than “I just wanted to let you know that my cousin Fred bashed his door in on purpose to collect insurance money”. So I guess I’d just put your guns away and let the pros take care of it. Now if you are a witness or something to those guys that like to go around rear ending cars for profit, by all means give your statement to the police.

OTOH personal injuries are not always immediately apparent so you can get rear ended and feel fine and a week later develop problems.

1 Like

The legal profession encourages law suits against insurance companies. Every time I turn on the television there is a commercial that begins “If you have been injured in an accident, call . . . to get the money you deserve”. I am sure that there are cases where the insurance company has to be sued to pay a legitimate claim, but there are cases where the plaintiff is trying to defraud the company.

We can tell the police and they can alert the insurance company if that is the way it works.

I would never drive a 65 mustang today, the car itself is not the problem for me, its all the soccer moms piloting their 6000 lbs suvs with screaming kids in the back while texting after knocking back a few drinks. Drivers are horrible today.

The death rates per miles driven have gone down but thats because cars are much safer, drivers in my opinion have gotten much worse even in the last 15 years or so.

1 Like

@WheresRick‌

Welcome back!

@‌db4690

Thanks, I missed everyone, just got really busy. I was away for a month on a storm.

Hope everyone is well. Is triedaq ok?

@‌WheresRick

I just found Triedaq’s password. Thanks for asking. He is doing as well as one would expect given that he has Geezeritis. He still looks for a choke to pull out when he first starts the car and wants a cell phone with a dial. He managed to get the old lawn mower that he purchased in 1992 running again. He mowed the yard twice and fogged for insects with the mower while he did the yard.

Mrs. Triedaq

I have to agree with the comments shown here. I’ve owned my '66 Stang for nearly 25 years. I used to belong to a club and had fun entering it in car shows, but these days I just drive it around locally once or twice a week.

You really do need to have a “daily driver” that is not your classic Mustang for not only the reasons stated here, but for the manual labor required to keep all of that chrome polished if you drive it in wet conditions. I’m retiring and relocating from so-Cal to WA state next year and as much as I hate to do it, I’m seriously considering selling my old Stang before I go. It’s a very emotional decision as I’m very attached to my old Stang. Time will tell if my head or my heart win out with that decision.

The old cars are great fun to drive… now that they’re “classics”. But in addition to every safety system in them being archaic compared to today’s systems (including brakes, lighting, passenger retention, airbags [they had none], steering systems, even door side beams), their bodies lacked the ability to sacrifice themselves in the name absorbing energy and the passenger cabin structures lacked the ability to divert crash energy around the passengers instead of crushing them like eggs.

If anybody (the thread is old, so I suspect the OP has long since made his/her decision) wants a “classic” by all mean get one and enjoy it… but I urge you not to try to use it as a daily family car. You’re truly putting your family members at a great deal of unnecessary risk. These are hobbies, not safe conveyances for your loved ones.

Don’t forget the lack of headrests! They were put there to keep your head from snapping off your neck in a rear end collision.

They make headrests for the 60’s mustangs that are made to match the factory seats for $300-$400 last time I looked.

Gee I think headrests were mentioned something like four years ago. I understand not reading posts from four years ago but still. Somehow I just can’t seem to shut up. Yeah not a bright idea but the best safety feature in any car is the driver. If you never run into anything and avoid others running into you, seat belts, padded dash, recessed steering wheel etc. are just window dressing.

When my 59 VW was T boned and totaled (no seat belts but that allowed me to slide across the seat as the side was caved in) I got a 59 Pontiac beast. I felt much safer in that car regardless of no crumple zones. Yeah it was a tank, no air bags, but I did put seat belts in it the same day.