Land Rover Discovery II- Brake Job kills car

As a teenager I used to have a summer job on a cattle ranch in that area, near Durango/Silverton. Surely is God’s country. I thought I was going to ride horses as part of the job but it turned out I was assigned to drive a 1967 VW Beetle around on the ranch’s rough, rut-filled dirt roads and run errands for the cows. That was fun too. But I wished I could have ridden some horses too. … …anyway so one idea would be to trade in the LR and buy a 1967 VW Beetle as that car never failed me once … lol

Back to being serious … The CEL problem, that’s one thing you’ve learned, when buying a car, to make sure all the dash lights come on that should when the key in in “on” but the engine is not started. On my Corolla the CEL, battery, brake, seat belt, and oil pressure warning lights all come on. The car will still work with the CEL bulb not working, but the CEL system is the most effective method for how mechanics figure out what is wrong these days. Cars are just too complicated otherwise, too many interactions, too much of a guessing game.

I don’t see how brake work could have caused this problem, but anything is possible once the car gets into the shop and people start working on it I suppose. A connector could have gotten knocked loose maybe. When I read your post my two thoughts were something wrong with the evap system, or with a crank or cam sensor. Usually those would throw DT codes of one sort or another. Do you know if you have any active or pending codes present? One thing you could try as an experiment, next time it happens, try temporarily loosening the gas cap and see if that helps. Don’t drive that way of course as it is unsafe.

If all else fails you may need to take your LR to a qualified LR service center. A dealer or inde that specializes in LR’s. Where’s the closest? Grand Junction, Albuquerque, or Denver I guess. Best of luck. And don’t forget that idea about the 1967 VW Beetle!

GeorgeSanJose My parents were married in Rifle CO in 1927. They had a 1926 Ford model T roadster which my Father had bought for $304 FOB Denver. They worked on a cattle ranch up on Peance Creek. My Father was just a cowboy and my Mother cooked for the hired hands. They discovered my Father had a talent for breaking horses and he was promoted. My dad gave me his old 1954 Chevrolet when I was 13 y/o in 1965 and taught me how to drive the clutch. I was working for a local farmer setting irrigation pipe when they needed someone to drive the old surplus military Jeeps and haul the pipe trailers around. I told them I could drive the Jeeps and I did! I was making non agricultural minimum wage $1.25 and having so much fun I would have paid them.

Sounds like you have some of the old west in your family! Good for you. The $1.25 per hour you mentioned reminds me of another summer job I had as a teenager. It paid the same, $1.25 per hour. Moving irrigation pipe for a western Idaho potato rancher. We ranch hands worked 14 hours a day, with just one day off every two weeks. Lived in a barracks, with the other farm hands. Like you say, once I got accustomed to the work schedule, and become friends w/ the other workers, it was a pretty fun job. The worst part of the job was the rattlesnakes. These snakes are no dummies. They much preferred to lay in the cool irrigated shade among the potatoes than out on the dry, hot desert sand and rocks. When we’d enter the fields in the AM we’d have to wear heavy rubber waders – like you’d use for fishing in a river – as there was no way to prevent being struck at by several rattlesnakes each day. You couldn’t see them b/c the potato vines were so thick. With the waders, still, it was a pretty safe job for the most part.