Keeping Dexcool or not?

If the brakes or tires are “done”, they need to be replaced, perhaps there is a language barrier.

Given that response I would say there is not a language barrier.

1 Like

Just to let you know.

You didn’t waste my time, or your money.

Tester

1 Like

There really is no right or wrong answer for you. On this board alone you will find experienced, professional mechanics who recommend getting rid of Dexcool as soon as possible, and you will find experienced, professional mechanics who advise to keep Dexcool for the life of the car.

Do what feels best to you and motor on.

2 Likes

You asked for opinions and sometime those opinions will differ. @Tester and I agree on most things and I respect him, but flushing and Dexcool are two things we do not agree on all the time. I also respect @db4690 and mostly agree with him as well. Both are good and experienced mechanics, but of course my advice was the best ;). But you’ve done what you’ve done so in the future I’d recommend draining and refilling with the same coolant you have switched to every 5 years.

1 Like

I owned a 2006 Chevrolet Uplander which had DexCool. It had about 5 years and 80,000 miles before we sold it to our son. Before we sold it to him, I had it serviced and the DexCool was flushed out and replaced by regular green coolant. My son has had the coolant changed a couple of times with greei coolant. The Uplander has over 200,000 miles and has never had a cooling system problem. The manifold gasket has never had to be replaced, the radiator, heater core are the original equipment. My conclusion is that it probably doesn’t make any difference whether DexCool or the green coolant is used as long as they aren’t mixed.

1 Like