Keep maintaining or trade up..?

Thanks all…I have a hard time believing that VW will compensate me $18-20K…!! But if so, it makes perfect sense to put a few thousand dollars in to it and keep it, at least til the settlement…!!

Am I assuming correctly…??

I don’t know. Because you are putting somewhere around $5K and your compensation is still going to be the same. That is why I was thinking to park the car so it is still derivable, get a new or newer car (add the $5K to that budget) and then get your compensation. The big IF is if they really pay you $18K for a car with 400K miles on the ODO.

They will pay you the $18,000 to $20,000 less about $3900 for the mileage allowance per NADA guidelines.

There will be a settlement, but if some states like California enforce a “fix” you may be in for disappointment. The fix is still into the future but will definitely impair performance and your car will be less perky.

If I lived in California I would go for the VW buy out and start all over.

I’m having a hard time seeing OP get even 14100 for that car with well over 400K miles on

No offense intended to anybody, but I wouldn’t be surprised if VW really wasn’t counting on such a high mileage car being bought back, and there is some super-sneaky low-ball clause built in somewhere

Something to the effect of “This offer applies on cars up to 120K miles. Anything above that, all bets are off”

Naturally, it would be worded better than that

As I said, I’ll believe it when OP reports back and says VW bough the car back and gave him x amount of dollars

I’ll admit I’m a born skeptic, but to be fair, it’s very often served me :smiley:

What if the car breaks down 175 away from home and requires a tow, then 5 days in the shop requiring a rental plus the repair? I kept a few Ford F-150s running parcel delivery routes for over a million miles but they were easily repaired, I kept a spare that I rented to the other owners and used myself. And with bare bones rear wheel drive Fords I could replace a clutch in less than an hour and an engine in about 6 hours. But one reason I left that job was to open a shop because I often made more on weekends repairing trucks for other owners than I made all week driving1,600 miles.

You are doing something right if you operate a vehicle profitably for 440,000 miles though.

@db4690 - I bet VW will be more than happy to honor the deal. They’re probably going to scrap the buy backs anyway, what do they care about the miles?

@texases

I hear what you’re saying

But I’ll hold off on believing it until OP comes back and says he got x amount of dollars for the car with 440000 miles

no disrespect to anybody :no_mouth:

Thanks again for all the input…!! I believe I am going to put the $500 VISA & $500 VW credit card towards replacing the timing belt replacement and milk the clutch, brakes and A/C as long as possible…
As good as $18,000 sounds, I’d be satisfied with half that much…I’ve certainly gotten my money’s worth…!!
But if they are going to give it to me - I’m gonna take it…!!
Rob

Is $18,000 what you get from the VW web site?

Me, I’d jump at that for a car with 400k+ miles.

I’m with Galant. Don’t put a penny more into it. Park it until the settlement and buy another now. I ran my Buick to 500K and when I looked back on the cost figures, I would have been better off to dump it at 300K. You have been handed an early Christmas present-lots of repairs needed and VW willing to pay you off. Putting money into is a loser IMHO.

The VW web site shows that they plan to pay $18,227 - $20,357 for a typical vehicle. On the low side for an average car it will be $12700 plus $5527 cash settlement totaling $18,227.

The OP’s car is worth less than $6000. If you enter a VIN into the VW site it will indicate if the vehicle is involved and allow you to register for updates.