Just walked out of a dealership... Now what?

GOOD JOB. You did it right. You might even have some fun and maybe get that car, by going back of making that same offer, ask the salesman if he have some to his senses yet, or ask to see his boss and ask him why the salesman does not want to sell that car. You may not get the car (it may be a sleazier than usual lot) but it sure would be fun.

In short you did good.

BTW it is very unusual to find the owner’s manual in a used car. Many dealers throw them out, and worse yet many drivers throw them out the first day without even looking at them, a car that still has the manual is IMO a good indication that the car may be a better bet than others.

Have you ever bought a car before???

Well, I’m guessing the salesman isn’t going to call Jeff back. Jeff went in with a chip on his shoulder. We’ve all been there.

I don’t see where he walked in with a chip on his shoulder. He was firm in what he wanted…and didn’t want the salesman pushing him around. Sorry…but 99.99999% of car salesmen are EXTREMELY PUSHY and Arrogant. He did the right thing. There are other cars and other dealerships. Right now it’s a buyers market. They don’t want to meet your terms…too bad…Good luck selling the car.

Well, it generally doesn’t help to hold back with important information like “I liked the car.” Those would be the precise words to motivate a salesman to really work with you.

In my 35+ years in buying cars I learned the hard way you NEVER tell the salesman how interested you are in buying the car. The more interested you seem…the more they push. I HATE dealing with pushy salesman. Salesman becomes pushy…I walk.

After all that, here’s my advice and I hope it helps: If you’re going to buy your car from a dealer, next car dealership you go into, tell them you’re new at this whole thing…

That’s the WORSE possible thing you can do. I’m sorry…but buying a car is an adversarial process. A car salesman is out for one thing and one thing ONLY…to sell you a car at the highest possible profit. If they can sell you a car at $10,000 over MSRP…I don’t know a car salesman on this planet who won’t. Your job as a buyer is to buy a car at the lowest price possible. In a buyers market like now it’s a lot easier to do. Telling a salesman that you’re new to this whole buying process…lights up the big sign in his head that says…“SUCKER”.

My late Father made the statement “There will always be cars”. If you can’t make a deal on a car that you find, there are always plenty of cars on the market other places.

I shop for a dealer as hard as I shop for a car. One dealer in my town has been in the same family since the 1920’s. This dealer had sold Hudsons, but for the last 50 years has sold used cars and has a loyal customer base. At any rate, check on the dealer as to how long the establishment has been in business and check with other people about the dealer’s reputation.

You did exactly what I would have done.

I agree. Telling the salesman you’re new to buying a car, you just as well hand him a blank check and saying phrases like “uh duhr hurhur”.

I was wanting to test drive the new Escape and Ranger awhile back, before I found the CX7. The local Ford place had new escapes and a couple Rangers, but they were already sold. The salesman had let me drive it off the lot(with him in the car) and had me drive about a mile up the road and pretty much just cruise the mall parking lot and back. Said “fine” and trotted around and back a couple times(test drove both 4 and 6 cyl models). Decided I’d try another dealership(F/L/M dealerships are a dime a dozen) and went down to Columbus(hour drive) and let them know what I was looking to test drive, but they didn’t have any Rangers on the lot. He drove it off the lot, but I got to take a real test drive by heading up Hard Rd to 315, rt. 315 to I-270, I-270 to Sawmill and back to the dealership.
The Mazda dealership(went there before Ford) up the road from the Ford lot drove the vehicles I wanted to test drive up to the front door, let me get in the driver’s seat and told me to have fun. Told them I wasn’t familiar with the area and the salesman went with me the first time, 2nd time I went myself. The Mini/BMW place in Dublin was the same way.

I agree with andrew i. There a lot of used Accord’s for sale because they are one of the best selling cars. I have seen Accords for sale on craiglist for $4-5K that look like good values. BTW I have 99 Accord w/4 cyl. and it has been the best car I ever owned ( out of a total of 9). It has 110K and runs like new. I also get 24 mpg on my 5 mile commute thru town and 30+ mpg on the interstate @ 65-70 mph. A good, used, reasonably priced Civic is much harder to find.

UPDATE

The dealer agreed to let me have the car for $6,000 provided they would do the timing belt and water pump for me. I have it in writing in a “due bill”.

My mechanic inspected and found that the other items were either done previously/not necessary.

I’m going to pick up the car this afternoon. Finally! New(er) car!

That sounds fair. Glad you got something you liked at a fair deal. I would inspect the pump and timing belt area before the work was done. Make sure they carry through with what they say they will do. If the place is trust worthy then it shouldn’t be a problem.

Did they call you…or you go back in to renegotiate???

I never gave them my # in the first place, so they couldn’t have called if they wanted to. I called them and offered the latter and they ok’d. I only reconsidered the offer because 1. Edmunds and KBB values differ, I re-appraised. 2. Did not want to boldly assume the car needed all the maintenance until my mechanic verified. 3. Did not want to start this whole car search over again.

The dealer is pretty reputable, we have bought from them before (a NEW car in 99) and our Independent mechanic vouched for them. Also my shade tree mechanic friend inspected car and gave it the o.k. I’m just glad it’s over.

If you are looking for a used car realy do go the old lady route. Retirement villages(not nursing homes) but assisted living centers are great places to find used cars. I worked at one and every month one of the residents would be unable to pass their liscense test. I am not saying try to take advantage of the helpless, offer them a fair price. Many of the cars were lovingly maintained and they would still be driving them if they could. Let them know that you intend to treat their older car with respect and that you want to see that it is treated right.

Hi All:
Rule #1 dealing with vehicle purchase, ----- NEVER purchase a vehicle over 100,000 miles, and always purchase a “used vehicle” from a dealer who sells the same brand of new vehicles! ---- REASON: — They have the parts and knowledge to repair the vehicle. If possible, put a factory used vehicle extended warrnty on the used vehicle!
Best regards. --------- Dwyane2

I have no problem what-so-ever in buying a vehicle over 100k miles. It all depends on what shape it’s in. Many of us here have had many vehicles last well over 300k miles with virtually no major problems what-so-ever.

• They have the parts and knowledge to repair the vehicle.

Parts are sold everywhere. The dealer is NOT the only place to buy parts from. In fact it’s usually the LAST place I’ll buy a part from. And unless the car is really exotic and decent mechanic should have no problem fixing any problems you have.

I Agree … Some Of The Best Deals Come From People Who Think Cars Are Worth Little Past 100K !

Dwayne2 - Rule #1

Why do you say NEVER purchase a vehicle with over 100,000 miles? You gave no reason like you did for always purchasing from a dealer. I’m curious about your rationale. I’ve done this many times. Miles are a factor of price.