Jiffy Lube Left a Rag in my Car, $751 later

I’d look at this way. If JL screws up a 1000 engines a year nationwide due to their lube techs having to work too fast, inexperience, etc. how many is that out of the total number of oil changes they perform a year? I don’t see the percentage as being that high.

While the numbers will never be known to me or anyone else, I would have no problem wagering every cent I had that the medical profession makes a higher percentage of mistakes. The only difference there is they have the PR machine, state licensing machines, and a huge slush fund to keep things fairly quiet.
Many of the doctors tee off at the same time with the medical board members so unless a doc just flat goes nuts with something no one will ever hear of any problems.

Recently my youngest son had people out 3 times (HVAC experts) to check his central A/C unit which was barely cooling at all.
The second one stated that he should never wash the outside condenser out because “washing the condenser always causes it to lose Freon”.
So much for the duly licensed HVAC experts… :slight_smile:

While the numbers will never be known to me or anyone else, I would have no problem wagering every cent I had that the medical profession makes a higher percentage of mistakes

Probably because the doctors are dealing with situations 2-3 million times more complicated then an oil change.

There’s a huge difference between being flat stumped on a medical problem and sheer incompetence, dismissiveness, placebos, brushoffs, and so on.

Oh I’m sure that happens…I’ve never personally experienced it. Heard about it…but never experienced it…and don’t know anyone who has. Maybe when I get older and start to have some medical issues my perception may change. Right now it’s just exams…and those pesky Colon exams every 5 years.

Like others, I struggle to see how a rag left under the hood would damage the sensors that were supposedly damaged. Was this rag sucked into the air intake?

lilyt, please provide more details. Without more details, we just can’t know if the rag caused this damage or if your mechanic is padding the bill because he knows Jiffy Lube is on the hook.

Medical doctors are at a disadvantage over mechanics…they can’t remove parts and check them out to see what’s wrong.

Anyway, I’m in agreement with OK4450. There’s more to this story than we’ve been told. I’d like to find out the whole story before making any judgements.

Yes but Docs only have 1 Make and 2 models to work on. :slight_smile:

True, but if a Doc a part that’s beginning to fail, changing it out can be a challange. After two myocardial infarctions, my ticker has difficulty pumping blood to my brain. Some of the muscle is scar tissue and the heart is weaker than it used to be. The arterial systems have all been checked out and they’re not the cause, the pump is just weak. I just have to live with it. Changing my heart out is a tad more complicated and risky than, say, changing out a headgasket.

OBM: “Yes but Docs only have 1 Make and 2 models to work on. :)”

That’s not true. The version of the human body found in Grey’s Anatomy only covers a portion of humanity. There are a great many people whose organs don’t reside where you might expect them to. Some estimate that Grey’s Anatomy only accurately applies to 40-60% of the population.

The model the Doc has to work on has not changed much in a long time. Cars and trucks change yearly. :slight_smile:

Lily, we apologize for going off on this tangent. We’re old people, harmlessly gabbing amongst ourselves. But I’d really like to hear the details of the story. If you’re still there, could you post with a more detailed explanation?