It's not just getting old that's dangerous

That could be a good argument for loud pipes even then there would still be some one who would not look.

Yes, along with dual master cylinders.

4 Likes

Didn’t think about that as they are so common now.

1 Like

Many–perhaps most–people who do a classic car restoration install a dual master cylinder.

3 Likes

… and, this was an area where the independent manufacturers led the way. IIRC, American Motors and Studebaker were the first in The US to adopt dual master cylinders.

3 Likes

I wonder if they still show the movie “Red Asphalt” as part of driver’s ed in high school?

Meh, I don’t really buy that argument, but I also admit that safety isn’t high on my list of priorities. For one, not every wreck is a high speed rollover involving multiple cars. They are just as likely to be in a parking lot incursion or a 30mph fender bender that results in no more than a bruise and sore arm.

There are just too many cases of wrong way drivers on expressway’s for me not to be concerned about vehicle safety . As for roll overs - hardly a week goes by without a news story of a young person leaving the road and putting their vehicle on it’s side or even upside down . Here in Oklahoma unbelted ejections from vehicles is not unusual .

In my state, it seems that there are an incredible number of one-vehicle accidents, where the car/truck/SUV goes off the road, hits a tree/utility pole/embankment/guard rail, and the outcome is… let’s just say… not pretty because the driver is un-belted and winds-up being ejected from his/her vehicle. I have seen reports of this type of accident several times every week for the past 2 or 3 years and–aside from possible alcohol/drug involvement–I am beginning to wonder if some of these incidents are suicides.

+1

It’s not just in OK…

I’m pretty sure my 67 Buick wagon didn’t have dual masters. Regardless you can still drive reasonably safe without great brakes. My master cyl went out and I remember driving it home through bumper to bumper Minneapolis traffic with the pedal going to the floor each time I had to stop. But if you allow a little distance to react and recognize your limitations, you can arrive home safely. I’m sure others will disagree but nursing a vehicle home is nursing a vehicle home.

2 Likes

Haha…sadly, no.

Although I wouldn’t mind being a “kept man” if that role reversal scenario were to pan out.

I don’t remember what the problem was but around 10 or so years ago the brakes went out on the car I was driving but what saved me was the hand brake on the console enabling me to get it to the shop without a tow.You do what you have to do.

2 Likes

same thing happened to me years ago. between down shifting and the hand brake, I got home with no problems.

2 Likes

Back when I had my Jeep CJ, I nursed it home with no brakes, no clutch, and even no rear drive shaft on different occasions. I sort of wish I’d kept it. By the time I got rid of it, all those things were working lol. Pretty unsafe vehicle, though. Even by 1979 safety standards.

“I guess I’m old for my age.” Brilliant. Thanks for the smile.

I too “don’t have any interest in social media.”

And the climate controls on my otherwise fine 2011 Toyota Venza, especially how to TURN OFF the system and just get fresh air into the car, continue to frustrate me.

Thanks, I thought I was the only one who didn’t like his climate control system.

I’m fine with the climate controls in my wife’s 2013 Highlander, although they may be different than they are in the Venza.

The touch screen radio, however, I constantly fat finger the scan “button” on the screen. I can’t for the life of me stop it from scanning on the station I want. Then I accidentally wind up on AM radio somehow, and my wife just shakes her head from the passenger seat.