It will crank, but it won't start. Lightning?

Yes, to both the roof and the rafters.

If evidence of a lightning strike was presented it seems crazy that the first claim wouldn’t be payed. Is this a very young insurance agent?

Actually, my agent’s office told me that the local agencies no longer handle claims. All claims go through a national 800 number/website. This leaves me wondering what the purpose of my agent is, who is not young.

To sell you stuff.

State Farm does that too, at least for home damage. They contract with adjusters but the adjusters have the authority to make a decision and write the check on the spot with no hassle.

Actually, my agent's office told me that the local agencies no longer handle claims. All claims go through a national 800 number/website. This leaves me wondering what the purpose of my agent is, who is not young.

I’ve been buying car insurance for over 45 years - from several different insurance companies in several different states…and NEVER EVER has the local agent handled claims. It’s ALWAYS been handled by corporate.

The Agent job is to SELL…PERIOD. Most agents work for themselves. Even a State Farm or All State agent. They are independent who exclusively sell for that insurance company.