It seems there are a higher percentage of Subaru questions?

Subaru’s short term reliability seems OK. Its after several years and 100K, that thing rear there ugly head.

I have wondered if Consumer Reports extended its reliability testing out to ten years, if that would have a significant impact on Subaru?

Seeing how cars last a lot longer now.
Is it time for Consumer Reports to extend there reliability data out to ten years?

Getting 10+yrs and much more than 100K out of your can today is expected it is no longer a point at which you can (as we used to) say “OH it has 100K on it anything is possible”.

We do get many posts from people that talk about their “old” 2000yr model car,this is not a old car.

I had a 49 Chevy pickup as my daily driver in 1982,that was a old car.

We had a 1984 Chevy Impala V8 in the family from 1983 till 2004 This car accumulated 282,000 miles before my son finally sold it to a kid who is still driving it! At all times, this car was as reliable as it was in its first few years. In addition to normal wear items such as brakes, shocks, alternator, battery, starter, front end parts, etc, the only engine work done was timing chain, fuel pump and water pump replacement, and no transmission work other than normal fluid and filter changes.

They have extended reliability to 10 years. The major issue has been head gaskets. Otherwise average to slightly above average against other model peers.

The recent 2005+ models which seem to left the head gasket problems behind finally (engine head is different and gaskets) seem to on par with Honda/Toyota.

My experience of family with 10 Subaru’s is they are great for 8yrs/150k. After is more a crap shot. I think this is true of ANY make though.

Hanger queens are usually never cured because everybody keeps cannibalizing parts off of them…

Or owned by someone who never has time to fly it. A lot of motorcycles and boats end up being “hangar queens”.

Good suggestion. Consumer Reports does an article every now & then on long lived cars. They are ususally not Subarus, but garden variety 2 wheel drive vehicles that are easy and inexpensive to fix as they age. A 2 WD Ford Ranger would be a good example. US cars often make the grade because of the plentiful parts and low cost to repair, not inherent reliability.

My friends and colleagues are all very happy with their Subarus, but all will trade them after about 4-5 years, before any expensive repairs surface.

The 6 years plus age area has been ignored by most of the media and the consumer groups. The Montreal, Canada based Autombile Protection Association (APA) has done a lot of work on how cars stand up as they age. A book called “Lemon-Aid” discusses used cars and recalls, design flaws,etc. Any border city bookshop would have it.