Is this 2007 Camry SE a good buy?

We owned a car 11years, cost came out to $218 a month, wife needed a dependable car to go on a 300 mile road trip to see her ailing mother, $200 a month lease, no repairs to worry about as warranty applies, no brakes, no tires no maintenance cost as free oil changes, was a good deal to me, we now own 2 cars so I cannot give you a clear answer, just food for thought.

Zip Car isn’t a bad way to go for now, you may end up deciding to find something more like what they offer.

Hello Everyone,

I would like to resuscitate this thread with some updates:

1. I tried a couple of cars with ZipCar and really enjoyed driving the newer Honda Civic. I took it out for day trips and spent a good 10 hours per day driving it on a variety of roads.
  2. With ZipCar, a daylong trip on a weekend costs ~150. We can hit $500 in a month with couple of day trips and some grocery store trips.
  3. If it’s going to cost $300-$500 per month with ZipCar, I am tempted to lease/own a car as it gives us more bang for buck in terms of drive time.

Some considerations:

1. Although we are able to spend $15k+ (a target figure) on a used Civic that is 2-3 years old and has been driven around 20k miles, we are reluctant to do so because the car is a want, not a need for us. As an ardent follower of the FIRE (Financial Independence;Retire Early) community, I cannot help but think that the money will be much better utilized in an index fund. As a result, I am trying to figure out if leasing makes more sense.

2. We may or may not reside in the country after the next 2-3 years as we are foreign nationals. As a result, it is hard for me to say for sure that we will own the car for long term and that will reduce our TCO.

Questions:

1. Am I thinking about this desire logically?
  2. Should we lease a car or continue using ZipCar? If the former, it is possible to keep the all inclusive price to under $300?
  3. Should we buy the car outright if we can get it for around $15k? And then sell it in 2-3 years when we’re ready to leave or need/want a new car?

Thank you for all your inputs!

My wife leases a 2019 hyundai elantra that she got in June 2019 for $291 per month on a 3 year, 10,000 mile per year lease. I put $3k into the deal up front to keep the payment down. MSRP on the car was about $21k.

Got it. Does she plan to buy the car after the lease is up? How does the decision to buy or not buy affect the price/cost?

The lease price is not based on if the persons plans to turn it in or purchase it . But if you need to leave the country before lease term is up it will be really expensive to terminate a lease.

If it was me I would find something cheap and hope it lasts for a year or so and do it again if it does die . Of course this is a lousy time to be buying a vehicle .

We get a new one every 3 years. The purchase option is not a factor i’ve ever considered. The dealer and finance company set that price, and like everything else, it’s negotiable, to a point.

Leasing is the most expensive way to own a car.

Buying a 3 to 4 year old car and keeping it a long time is the cheapest. Selling it in 2,3 or years is the next cheapest.

This is true in a normal car market. This is not a normal car market. This is a crazy market. Best to wait and buy later.

Got it. What do you think is a reasonable time to wait before buying a car given the current market?

No one knows the answer to that question . Pick a couple types of vehicles and see what the prices are now and check to see if the price goes down a month later Keep doing that and then you will know when the market changes for the better.

3 Likes

To me it seems like your Zipcar costs more than just a regular rental car. It doesn’t make sense.
In this market, a Civic with your criteria would be probably closer to $20K.
Sometimes, on a lease, they inflate the residual value to get you a lower payment. Buying those cars at the end of the lease would usually not make sense.
Otherwise, you have used an expensive financing way yo buy a car through leasing.

A couple of years back, as I checked ZipCar pricing, I had the same question popping up.
Nowadays, from what I’ve seen, the rental prices soared, but I did not do a new cross-check myself.

Original @kurious idea was to own the car for 5 years and his ongoing expense allocation was at 6 grand a year, so the idea of leasing a new car was also the first thing popping up for me - the initial “downpayment” and ongoing payments were totally in-line with his goals and budgets
 minus all the “entertainment” of dealing with the failing 14-years-old car :slight_smile:

I do agree with @Mustangman that leasing is the most expensive way of owning a car, yet it’s the most trouble-free option too, and my impression is that this factor is top on the list for the OP.

1 Like

It would seem that way
 but I remember this comment
 way back when

Which is counter to the “spend more money on the trouble-free solution” that leasing would be.

I don’t think anybody can guess when the used-car crazy pricing will settle down. Given the OPs other comments about moving out of country in a few years and not really needing a car, seems like leasing would lock them into a contract that would not fit their lifestyle.

As Foriegn Nationals will they be able to lease a vehicle ? Also the full coverage insurance might be really expensive .

As the one who used to be in these shoes, I would say that at least some time back, US companies did not care for any of these potential “qualifiers” as long as it was a hard cash or promise to pay on the table.

Well, he did not provide much specifics, as if that means 3+ years, the lease option would still be “usable”.
Somehow he spoke about plans for 5 years, so I was under impression he is not to depart any time soon.

1 Like