Is the extended warranty for 2015 Honda Civic worth it?

transmission problems could run $2-3 thousand
if engine runs out of oil, $4-6 thousand
timing chain/cover problems, $500-700
AC problems, $1000 to $2000
[/quote]

@Pam19 If you are still with us those doomsday failures could apply to any vehicle made . All you need to do is maintain your vehicle of any brand by the service schedule. Just because a few vehicles of a brand had a problem that does not mean they all do. Just drive on and relax.

I wish I got it for mine now. This past year my car has been really hard to start sometimes and takes a few tries, it’s embarrassing as hell too. I’d highly recommend it!

I’ve never bought one but it just depends on the comfort level of the car owner. Provided it is an extended warranty by the manufacturer, sure its a toss up but cars now are very expensive to fix. I had the rear struts replaced on my Acura at 30K. Who would have thought? No cost to me but the invoice was over $700. On another one the timing chain was replaced. I don’t know what the invoice was for that but I have to believe over $1000. These were all low mileage so stuff does happen. If you’ve got no problem with a bill for a couple thousand, no big deal then, but some people like the peace of mind and having the work done at a dealer. I’ve been paying for homeowners insurance too for over 40 years and renters before that. Only had one claim but the tornado just missed us and others weren’t so lucky. It’s there if you need it. Now life insurance is something else-I’ve never collected on that.

To @Civicgal29, I bet the cost to fix your starting problems are a lot less than the cost of the warranty. How about telling us what the symptoms are, age of the car and what maintenance has been done . Is the check engine light on? If it is head on over to a parts store, like Autozone, Advance etc. , they will frequently read the code for free, post the code here, it will look like P1234.

I get a notice that my cars warranty is expiring in the mail and can buy a 3rd party warranty. Usually they at least have the right car and year listed. The last offer I got had TBD listed for everything except my name and address, they did not even know what my car was yet they could confidently offer a warranty :wink:

1 Like

I have a 2015 EX-L which i love except when it starts weird for me, especially around people/friends. My friends just laugh at me, but its literally the worst when it happens. This summer was really bad, but it began right before my warranty expired this past feb, my car started occasionally taking more than one try to get it started. I posted a youtube video, and someone notice my FOB battery was dead bc the green key was flashing. We used to have to hold my start button down earlier this year when it did this (for like multiple times too), or it would just quit trying after only a sec. My ex boyfriend changed my battery for me, and it starts up normal like most of the time now, but when it doesnt, it takes what seems like forever (especially in summertime!). the times it messes up for me now though, It tries to start for 10 full secs, get super close, like shakes/stutters like its starting (even fakes me out like i got it started), but after 10s it stops trying, an i have to try it again. This summer, my car stuttered like at least once every time i push start, and sometimes 3-4 times within 10s of trying. When that happens, most of the 10s of cranking is like coughing/hiccups (it sounds so freaking dumb). Actually this repeated hiccup thing happened last month at target and an older guy came over to knock on my window and tell me just how bad it sounded (like duh dude), he told me i’m trying way to long each time i try it (sorry but my car is push button start, i know what you’re saying, and it sounds and looks really dumb, but i have no control over how long the dumb thing tries to start, or how bad it sounds or the damn hiccups when its stuttering and struggling, gimme a break! And it started on only the second time that night. if he was at the beach the last time it was really bad, he’d have flipped out!

I guess this happened pretty sporadically until this summer, when i’d have to try 2 or 3 times to start my freakin car like every other time i wanted to go somewhere. one time leaving the beach with all my friends, the stupid thing took me like 5 or 6 really long, painful times, we were like melting since i have leather:( I don’t know why, but when my car stutters an makes that dumb hiccup stuttering sound, it just embarasses the heck out of me for some reason, ya know? If i hear someone struggling like that starting a new-ish car, my first thought is always, what a POS. And now its me and my baby, and i know everyone thinks the same thing bc like everyone looks over at me every time the dumb thing stutters or even hesitates a teeny bit when starting for me. I get so embarassed by just the wimpy sound of my dang car when it hesitates and acts up on me. Why is it so tough sometimes for me to start?

Def get it. I have to use pto bc I’ve been trying to start my car for an hr. Gd car tries so hard I swear it’s def going to make it, but it gags, shakes and quits 10s into trying. Last 3 times I’m holding my start button down so it cranks for more than 10s, maybe 20-25s and it’s so damn close just can’t. So much for the gym

The trouble is that your problem, like many others, probably would not be covered by the “extended warranty” (which isn’t a warranty at all, it’s a service contract with an extremely narrow definition of qualified repairs).

You’ve been messing with this for half a year. Just take it to a shop and get it fixed.

3 Likes

Dude I’ve tried 3 times now, but my dumb car starts right up for them every time I leave it with them, of course! I def never thought I’d be praying for my car to not start, but that’s where I’m at like every time I go in to the dealer now, I’m like please, please mess up or they’ll think I’m nuts and can’t start my car haha. They were kinda getting annoyed with me but the last time I was in (still started every time for them), as I was leaving it took me two times to get it to start (like 15-20s) and they heard it FINALLY! That doesn’t mean it’s fixed though. Of course they said they’ve never seen this happen, and threw a new starter motor at it (it’s def better now, but still rougher than my best friend’s 2014, which I’ve never heard stutter like mine even once). I thought it was all fixed but I still get it where like once a month I have to press start a bunch to get it started, like WTH?

I get what you’re saying, but maybe when they actually figure out why it acts like this, I could get some reimbursement from the extended. Since they’re not on the hook for it, I feel like they’re just kinda like, oh it’s a 4 year old car honey, problems happen. One guy at the shop even tried to tell me it wasn’t abnormal to have to try starting a car for 15s! I was like really? Maybe I’d believe that but sometimes it takes me way longer, like 45-60 secs of just cranking it again and again until it finally freaking decides its gonna start up. You try cranking your car in 95 degree heat with all your friends melting, they make fun of my car a year later for that time! I even thought we were walking that day, but thankfully it turned over after like 6 times of me pressing start! 6 FREAKING TIMES?! That’s a far cry from 15secs. Hell even 15 secs feels super long when it’s happening to me!

You are jumping all over the site with this problem and it has been a problem for over a year. Why do you even still have this thing ?

Yeah I maybe would think 15sec was normal to try starting a car except when I’m not in my car, I’m in my best friends base model 2014 civic lx. I used to look down on her car bc mine was so freaking nice inside with all the leather and fancy options, but her car has literally never ever stuttered or taken longer than the first sec she tries it. On the flip side, mine is basically stuttering every other time I press start now. Like even when it starts the first time (it normally does, like 3/4 the time I push start like I said) it still shakes/stutters usually once before it starts. I paid more for the leather, which I really love (except when we’re melting in the summer heat and it’s not starting) and the ex-l push button starting bs. But Id prob seriously trade her for the lx right about now since hers starts up when she holds her key down for like a half sec. I wonder if my car would start weird if I had a normal key to turn vs my stupid starting button. I doubt it, but I feel weird just pushing a button and waiting. It’s painful when its trying super hard and I’m just twiddling my thumbs, waiting, like playing with my finger nails till it starts (or stops trying and I need to push it again), but biting my nails is my nervous tick.

The benefits of extended warranties seem better for poor reliability models (not this one) or brand new cars and preventing new car owner from dumping it as soon as warranty is done as soon. The shorter period you own a brand new car the greater the depreciation cost which seems to flatten out as time passes on.