Is my transmission going out or possibly going out?

I don’t think any one here can positively say the trans is permanently or catastrophically damaged, or even say it will last you another xxx amount of miles. I think we all can say you didn’t do it any favors or help it in any way. If you want a cut and dried answer, take it to a transmission shop. We can not drive, hear, or even look at the car from where we are. You have been given some ideas and thoughts, now make up your own mind what to do.

Pvtpublic i understand that. But i keep asking and haven’t got an answer.

GENERALLY SPEAKING when someone does what i did… Does it usually ruin the PARKING PAWL FIRST.

Is that statement above correct???^^ And IF SO(GENERALLY SPEAKING) and my parking pawl is fine, is the transmission MOST LIKELY( GUESSING OF COURSE) okay?

You are asking for a guatantee that no one here can give you.

Maybe the trans is fine and you won’t have any problems in the future with it.
But you could also have cracked the mounting point for the parking pawl and it is just a matter of time until it lets go.

As I said before, I would avoid parking on any hills…just in case.
You wouldn’t feel too good if it let loose some day and ran some little kid over.

All anyone here can say is, Maybe it’s OK, Maybe it’s going to give out tomorrow, Maybe it will give out next month., Maybe it’s just crud blocking the selenoid, Maybe the entire trans will fail from the abuse next week.

You want an assurance that we cannot offer.
Go have it checked out, like everybody has suggested!!!

Everyone has given you good advice, even though we/me may have been a little rough on you.
I guess you never heard from your father “What were you thinking”, but I’ll bet there’s not one person on this site that never got chewed out for doing something foolish, so don’t take it so personal.

If Not then just word your next post the way you want us to say it and we’ll just “cut and paste” and be done with it.

Yosemite

PS I think this discussion should be closed. All we’re doing is going over the same words again and again.

Yosemite, you HAVE to understand my circumstances. I’m 21, unemployed and if i’m lucky i’m going to be getting a job flipping burgers making 7 dollars an hour. Taking it to a mechanic and MOST LIKELY paying for the transmission to get checked out if MOST LIKELY nothing is wrong is NOT WORTH IT.

BUT, if people on these forums say YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GET IT CHECKED OUT IT COULD BE RUINED, then i am GOING TO GET IT CHECKED OUT AND GET THE MONEY FOR THE FEE.

So i will ask again, without being gauranteed anything.

BASED ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES IS MY CAR’S TRANSMISSION MOST LIKELY OKAY FROM THE MULTIPLE DIFFERENT THINGS I’VE SAID ABOUT IT.

Gabe, give it up. You are not going to get the answer you want. Just drive the car and if it quits then worry about it. In the meantime set the parking brake.

you know, when you type caps like that it feels like you are yelling at us to me, or like you think we re stupid.

I know you are only 21 but…

your car is not gonna last if you drive the way you post. take it easy man…

just change your fluid and filter. all will be well. you can t afford a new tranny anyway. don t worry about it. its probably fine

I agree with Yosemite that this thread should be closed.
Additionally, the OP should just do what he wants to do, as we are all simply wasting our time at this point.

Gabe;
We have all made stupid mistakes, you just need to live with it and learn a lesson from the experience.

I…trying to do my first burnout with my dads old 63 Impala…revved it up and popped the clutch, like everybody else did. Snapped the timing chain on that little 235ci engine in a heartbeat.
My dad towed me home…that was my training at being towed…and I had to do all the labor under his direction changing out the timing chain. I’m sure to make a bigger impact, he may have had me remove a few extra parts, or made sure I got much dirtier and grimier than needed.
Somehow…I learned my lesson, but knowing my dad, I’m sure he took the opportunity to teach me more about that car and how an engine works…not just a timing chain and it’s components.

So learn from the experience, and just take it a little easy on that poor car.
As you said you don’t have the money to throw away, and you need transportation if you do find a job. So treat that car nice…unless you like to walk a lot.

If I were in your shoes, I’d just drive it as is and hope for the best. Even if damage is done…if you are kind to it, it may last the way it is for another 100’000 miles, without any problems showing up.

And remember…we all come here for help, or to help others with car problems, so don’t fear comming back here with some problem in the future.

Best of luck with this. And always drive like your dads in the back seat with a flyswatter, ready to wack your ear if you drive crazy!!! No, my dad didn’t do that…he threatened you with his belt…but it was all talk…never got a licken!!!

Yosemite

THE END