Is it bad to drive a brand new engine at really high rpms

shadowfax: I lived next door to an elderly couple in Southern California. They had a 5 year old 1970 Chevy Nova 4dr Inline 6cyl. About the only times it was driven were Sunday mornings to church and back. The old guy was nearly deaf and would always start the car with accelerator to the floor and leave it there for up to 30 seconds! Although the 230 ci 1v could probably not achieve 5,000rpm still… Never underestimate the ignorance people are capable of concerning motor vehicles.

I found this question so silly that I have ignored it. Just another issue along with long oil changes to watch out for when buying used. It even drives me nuts when someone starts his boat up and proceeds to drive it at full throttle across the lake to warm it up.

@shadowfax I admit to being somewhat naïve as to the torture some people subject their cars to.

An engineer friend’s wife saw the red temperature light go on in her Ford Taurus. She was about 10 miles from home and decided she could make it home since “the car was running fine” when the light came on.

Needless to say, she burned out the engine.

I tend to believe OP. I suspect high income; divorce; maternal custody, and the new car is high powered.

Second choice is troll.

@irlandes My wife is able to predict these things as well. When a married guy buys a sporty powerful TWO DOOR car, she will predict that the marriage is on the rocks. She is usually right.

Over the years I’ve asked so many questions that must have sounded stupid to those familiar with the subject matter of the question that I always try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Not everyone understands cars. Those that don’t should feel welcome here too.

Your engine was broken in by the time it had 13 miles on it. Given that, just drive it normally.

The only caveat would be to not run around with the pedal mashed through the floor and the tach bouncing off of the limiter.

You mean… I’m not supposed to do that??? :smiley:

A zero to 60 event as already occurred during the pre-delivery inspection. I’ve worked with many PDI techs over the years and none were conservative drivers.

If you want a reliable and long lasting engine, drive like a grownup. If you don’t want your car to be long in this world, drive like a boy-racer.
High rpm stresses an engine no matter how well broken in it is.

You ever notice that those brands and models of motorcycles that have a reputation for never wearing out, BMW, Harley, Honda Goldwing, etc. are bikes that are owned predominantly by grownups?

If you like new cars, it’s good to run them at high rpms when you first get them. It can help get you to the point where you’ll have an excuse to buy another new one.

Many high end cars (Porsche for example…) and motorcycles (Harley, etc) are all run up on dynos before ever hitting the showroom.

Many new crate engines are also given a dyno run before the sale.

None of those dyno runs means coddling it up to 2000 RPM and backing off.