Is an engine replacement worth it on 2005 Camry?

That usually means you will have electrical problems in the future that may never end . Just give up and replace this thing.

2 Likes

They definitely wouldnā€™t give me my money back without inspecting it, and for that Iā€™d have to ship it 1,200 miles.

Repairing such a small oil leak is most likely not worth the cost. It can cost upwards of 1k I believe. The mechanic did say he would have the engine replaced again if the engine is burning oil. He said he would have to run some tests first to make sure this is the case though.

How do I tell exactly where the leak is coming from? It seems to be on the left side where the engine is.

How much do you think it would cost just to have a mechanic check where the leak is coming from?

first look under the hood for leaks on top of the engine, near the valve cover. if no leaks are seen then you need to put the emergency brake on. jack the front of the car up. use jack stands too. clean up all the oil that leaked onto everything underneath the engine.
then let the engine run for a while to see if you see it leaking. or you can take it for a drive for a while and then jack it back up again the same as before and look for the leak.

3 Likes

Thank you. My mechanic recommended using something like Lucas, the oil stabilizer. He said to go to an auto shop and find something that is suitable for a camry.

Is this Restore product similar to Lucas?

Engine Restorer (restoreusa.com)

Iā€™ve used Restore over the years to eliminate/reduce oil burning in worn engines.

Iā€™ve done this for customers who canā€™t afford a replacement engine/vehicle.

Tester

1 Like

I rarely take a vehicle to a mechanic any more. But Iā€™d think 1 hour labor? Others can chime in. You may have more info on the labor rates in your area than I do.

Ok, left side. The drivers side or passenger side?

1 Like

Is it common practice to do preventative maintenance and replace the engine main seal or not replace it when the engine or transmission is removed?

We obtain engines through LKQ auto parts, these are their warranty requirements;

I have seen timing belts and thermostats removed by the engine supplier to ensure they get replaced.

4 Likes

I would never change an engine or transmission without changing the rear main seal on the engine or the front seal on the transmission because seals are so cheap and pulling an Engine or transmission is expensive or a lot of work if you are doing it yourself.

Some mechanics will ask you if you want it done and chaqrge you not much to do it, but I donā€™t think anyone will automatically do it without asking you about it because they donā€™ want to lose the job to another mechanic who will do the job $50 cheaper because he us not changing the seals.

This is important information that you should have given us from the start. This car is likely to start developing all sorts of glitches that will be a pain to repair.

5 Likes

The Flood info was in one of his other threads but that one has over 50 posts . Plus a thread asking how to check oil level . I say again that this vehicle may never be dependable and it is time to just bail and replace it.

1 Like

Driving through flood water can damage the engine but not necessarily the interior. If this car were swept away by a flash flood it would have never been repaired.

Passenger side

I thought that changing a seal can be risky and cost upwards of $1k. Isnt it also something that shouldve been checked by the mechanic before installing the engine?

Nick , just in case you do not know your replies are seen by everyone here . No need to reply to each individual post.

3 Likes