Is a Prius a good vehicle if you are a high mileage driver?

I’m surprised disappointed all but one of the most driven passenger vehicles are the thirstiest guzzlers.

Call it “judgmental” if you want, but it’s judgmental in a good way - and nothing any good father wouldn’t say to their child.

But OK. I see what’s going on here (now), so here’s the “robo”, emotionally-devoid answer you guys want (and that’s all I’ll ever give in the future here):

——————

Buy the Corolla. It makes no sense to pay extra for hybrid technology when you’re just gonna run the car into the ground on the highway.

No, a good parent would be glad that the child possibly has a job that they are good at and would be supportive of their choice . Also for a gift an AAA membership.

I’m not surprised at all. Gas is relatively cheap, and consumers tend to be notoriously short sighted. Fuel efficient vehicles only become popular when the price of fuel spikes, and by that time, trading in the gas guzzler is a losing strategy unless you have reasons to buy your next car other than the high price of fuel.

Also, those who can afford one of those gas guzzlers can afford to put a lot of miles on them, both in terms of fuel cost and in terms of per-mile maintenance. I get a chuckle seeing someone who is that outwardly affluent complain when it costs more than $100 to fill the tank. It’s a clear sign of an under accumulator of wealth.*

*The Millionaire Next Door - Wikipedia

3 Likes

You seem to think that’s a good thing, but you just confessed that you’re treating an adult like a child.

Nobody is asking for an “emotionally devoid” answer, just a respectful one, because in my experience, most adults don’t like being treated like children, even by their own parents.

4 Likes

Absolutely correct. Hybrids bread and butter is stop and go driving.

My mom’s 2010 Prius has been getting between 55 and 60mpg on the highway even with some time where the limit is 70mph.

It hasn’t been all that more expensive to maintain than her previous Mazda and it’s being looked after by the same shop that she’s used since 1993. They’ve been trained to work on Hybrids there just hasn’t been all that much for them to do.

1 Like

I have a 2011 Prius. I’m also a courier. At 200k it started having engine issues. I bought a 2019 Honda Insight hybrid in April. I get far better gas mileage with the Honda @ 52 mpg plus. I’d suggest a Honda Insight over the Prius. (Toyota is not being cooperative with the Prius engine issue I might add).

Why tag me , I am not looking for a Hybrid .

I bet a new Prius would get about the same mpgs as the Insight. Honda has had frequent problems with their hybrids, I hope they have it squared away.

What are the engine issues with your Prius?

2 Likes

That’s interesting, considering the previous Insight didn’t hold up well in comparison to the Prius.

Do you realize you’re comparing a 2011 Prius to a 2019 Insight? The OP is most likely considering a 4th generation Prius, not a 3rd generation Prius.

So it made it 200k miles before it started having “engine issues”…I would actually say that that’s pretty good myself. Honda Insights have definitely not been shown long term to be as reliable as the Prius has, hopefully your 2019 will be for you, though!

1 Like

Totally agree w/ advantage of Prius is city driving but I had a ‘10 that I drove 150k with no problems except regular maintainance/wear issues (traded it in). I drive 85-90% highway and did get better mileage than my current Optima but highway driving uses mostly gas engine. Difference might be the Prius’ 1.8L engine vs. Optima 2.4L engine, not hybrid vs. non. Whatever you get, pay for comfort extras (better seats, etc).

The Prius is a good car and should last a long time but from a purely economical standpoint, the biggest cost of car ownership is the car purchase. So, you might be better off buying a slightly used car and then driving it to the ground. Buying a used hybrid is a bid tricky and this is where the Civic/Corolla/Elantra etc come in. You will have to create a spreadsheet and compare the costs.

1 Like

especially

Such as . . . ?!

Loud rattle in engine at cold start up. Check engine light went off. Then ALL dash lights came on and lost power like it was out of gas. Had it towed home. Toyota says Needs plugs. And water pump. Had that fixed. Two days later, same thing. Said needs new fuel injectors. They paid for that repair. Three days later same thing. This has been over 2 months now. They’ve had it this time for two and a half weeks. Can’t seem to find the problem. Told me they’d be happy to replace anything I want as long as I pay for it.

I have Toyota Corp involved now. There’s class action lawsuits floating around regarding this issue. Toyota KNOWS the issue…but it’s gonna cost them mega bucks to rectify it. Tomorrow is D day. They fix my car or I’m calling my lawyer.

A lawsuit over a car with 200k? Good luck!

3 Likes

Your a courier so what are you doing with an 8 year old 200000 mile vehicle with problems ? A lawyer is going to cost you a lot more than you will ever get from FCA Inc. Just see what they will give you for this thing , get something else and move on.

The Toyota corporation diagnosed your car?

…or was it a privately-owned Toyota dealership service department mechanic?

In all this time, you haven’t gotten a second opinion from a second Toyota dealership or an independent mechanic? I’d have done that about 6 weeks ago.