Is 4x4 in a truck a necessity?

Just because the tick marks on the brochure are the same doesn’t mean they’re identical. Even though most of the suspension, steering and brake components on the two are the same kind of parts, almost every single one is a much more substantial unit on the 4x4. For example, I know from hard experience that there’s an extra leaf in the rear springs on the 4x4. In fact, a common mod is putting the 4x4 springs in a 2x4 truck to stop the back from bottoming out with heavy loads. There’s nothing about the 4wd parts alone that says you need that extra leaf. Look at the brake calipers. The 2wd version is a single piston one that’s about the size of a mid-size car caliper. The 4x4 caliper is a two piston unit about the same size as the one on my full size truck.

Try to find a part that’s not an engine or body part that interchanges between the two rigs-- there’s almost none.

I’m not saying that the 2wd’s are literally car-based or that they’re not actually trucks. My comparison to the El Camino is that it is a vehicle that has the utility of a pickup truck, but rides on-road more like a car and gets better mileage precisely because it isn’t overbuilt with off-road grade components like a typical pickup.

Crawl under each brand…the undercarraige of even a 2wd Toyota has parts that literally dwarf those of full size 4wd makes of the mod. (and esp. Rangers and Sonomas etc) The rear diff, drive train etc. Does it differ somewhat from their 4wds, sure. By only because of function requirements. The load/towing capacities have always been there for 2wds.
BTW, the extra leaf in 4wd is for ground clearances and suspension firming to keep the darn high center of gravity from tipping more than they actually do on the road (see original Ford Suvs)…not just for load capacity.

It sounds to Me that for what you want to do a 2wd would be fine. Just make sure you put a good set of mud/snow tires on the back. I ran 2wd in the woods for 40 years, also on snow covered raods and frozen lakes (with a little weight in the back) and never got stuck. I didn’t switch to 4wd untill I bought a bigger boat and needed the extra traction on slippery boat ramps.

We could argue degrees of seperation until the cows come home. My point was that the 2WD Toyota pickups are in no way car-based like the El Camino was. They’re configured the same as an F150 except the parts are different. Seperate body and cab on a full frame with rear leaf springs, solid read axle, longitudinal engine with driveshaft, dual A-frame front suspension, and other truck characteristics. They are in no way car-based. Never were. The payloads and tow ratings are almost exactly the same too.

By the way, I said the rolling stock varied…but the actual frame does not. I’ve seen them off the vehicles. Nor does the cab or bed in any significant way. The same engines are also available in both the 2X4 and 4X4…exactly the same engines.

As to the ride, it’s (unfortunately) as firm as any typical small 2WD pickup. The 4X4 is firmer, just as it is in any other make of pickup. The El Camino was purely a car with a bed, just as was the pickup version of the VW Golf.

Don’t misunderstand me, I thought the El Camino was a great car-truck. I like car-based pickups and wish Toyota would make one. I no longer have need for a real pickup but would like a smooth riding vehicle with a bed for carrying shrubs, dirt, etc.

Hey GJ;, while I tend to agree more with CSA on this one, I do appreciate the tip on the beefer leaf springs on the 4x4. Next time I am in the yards, I will check this out cause I could use the heavy springs for sure. I also know that the rear end on the 2wd is weaker, and the 4wd rear end is interchangable. It has to do with how the axles are retained. I am still looking for one of those for my truck cause i want to go from the gem top to a full mini-camper. I will now also see about that dual brake cylinder to see if it will fit, cause I would prefer to have the added safety feature of independently operated front and rear brakes, in case of a caliper or wheel cylinder failure. So thanks to both of you for this discussion it is very helpful. My only comment now is that the use of a truck on many back roads has more to do with the way you drive it than it does with how it is built.

"My only comment now is that the use of a truck on many back roads has more to do with the way you drive it than it does with how it is built."
I agree…though the higher clearance of a 4wd shines when stones and gravel starts being thrown around. The rougher the road, the more practical a 4wd in my experience even when 4wd is never used. the greater wheel travel over time is a great advantage and on really bad roads the ride is even better than a lower ground clearance vehicles. The bigger tires etc, all contribute to a better rough road ride as well. My vote is 4wd for those reasons and others.

If you really want 4WD, take a look at the Honda Ridgeline. It has 4WD and a crew cab. It’ will easily haul your 1000# of weights and should be capable of light off-roading. I have a friend that owns one and is very pleased with it.

Good suggestion. 2 Friends went from traditional trucks to these and couldn’t be happier.

well swpski, if you are still reading this, and if cost is not an issue, I think you will be ahead of the game with something that is 4wd, your wife will thank you.
I have been dealing with snow and mountains and a 2wd PU, and an overinflated sense of wanderlust for a few years now, tire chains, ashphalt roofing shingles (for traction), and a heavy-duty shovel are usually close at hand, lol. Of course they also say “4wd is good for getting stuck farther away from help”. Good luck to you.

I’ve had a 4WD drive vehicle for about 11 years now. There have been no extra maintence costs related to the 4WD bits. Fuel economy isn’t great, but there was never a 2WD version of the Bronco so you really can’t make an apples to apples comparison vs. a 2WD version of the same vehicle, though the EPA rates the 2WD F-150 w/ 351 exactly the same as the 4WD Bronco w/ 351. As for price. Yes, 4WD costs more, especially when buying new, but they also hold their value better as well.

I think the whole extra maintenance thing is largely a myth these days. Fuel costs may be higher, but it depends on the model, and the money thing really is only an issue if you buy new.

It depends on your definition of necessity. My first 20 years of driving I had no ac, and no 4 wheel drive. Do I really need ac and 4wd now, no, do I appreciate them yes. Living in the mid west we get those 90+ degree days and 12 inch snowfalls on a pretty regular basis. I actually needed 4wd to pull the boat out of our sand launch at the cabins so performance in the snow was an unexpected plus. There are pluses and minuses on both sides of the fence.

Although I’m not a fan of the Ridgeline (it’s not a “real” truck IMHO) I do think it would be good choice for the OP.

Thank to all who responded! We ended up getting the Honda Ridgeline and getting rid of my much beloved Audi. So far we love the ridgeline. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that the Audi had but we did cart around 860 lbs of weights and other equipment this weekend without a problem.

If you may find yourself in a sloping/ hilly field with wet grass; I would definitely get it; Let me make that stronger, I would not but a pickup 4x4 without it!

“Although I’m not a fan of the Ridgeline (it’s not a “real” truck IMHO)…”

It’s definitely not a truck in the way that your Bronco is. The Ridgeline is not well-suited to stump jumping.

We’ve had this discussion before and Honda’s version of a truck is “make a vehicle that will satisfy the truck needs of most people while handling like a car”. It is a hybrid of sorts but you have to admit, the truck capabilities exceed in many respects that OF THE “REAL” truck Ford Ranger and equal that of most other mid size trucks other than off road capability. How many of us really venture that far off road ? It’s real…

Quote from Ridgeline forum…
“the Ridgeline has 8.2 inches of ground clearance, a 25-degree approach angle, a 22-degree departure angle, and a 21-degree breakover angle for negotiating rough terrain. It can claw up a 28-degree (53-percent) dirt slope from a dead stop. It can tow a 5,000-pound boat up the steepest of boat ramps.”

cool! I was gonna mention maybe a small enclosed trailer might be the way to go? A bit intimidating for the wifey maybe… but then she could store all the equipment in a locked weather proof area, and maybe even put a logo on the side, and at the end of the day you can just park the trailer and go about sans sports gear.

Thank you for the feedback.

The Ridgeline sounds like it was a good choice for you. It is, indeed, a vehicle with some truck function while still providing a bit of car comfort.

Happy motoring.