Intermittent engine misfires

Because you took the time to criticize my reply when I said the OP needed a new mechanic.
And, yet, you never did answer my questions.
How would you have diagnosed it? You never did indicate what you would have done differently, or make any suggestions for the OP.

Do you have any suggestions for the OP?

Yes, show me the freeze frame data. If there isnā€™t freeze frame data I need a description of the conditions when the problem occurred. And see post #17.

yes, more bells and whistles. No offense, but you do not come across like doing a lot of DIY repairs on cars. Save the money and stop at an auto parts store in your area the next time you have an engine check light on. They will usually retrieve engine check code for free and tell you the meaning of the code. Thatā€™s precisely what 99% of OBD readers do. They wonā€™t tell you how to fix it.

When you lose the crank sensor the engine will stall, it wonā€™t cause one or two cylinders to drop out. If the crank sensor isnā€™t working how can the PCM detect misfires?

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing a crank sensor can fail in a way where it misses a beat once in a while, but not fail completely. Not possible?

No offense taken. Youā€™re right Iā€™m not a car repair guy. I can change my oil, filters, and bulbs, but Iā€™m not comfortable messing with the engine. But I appreciate the suggestions on what might be causing this problem and hopefully will find the solution. Thanks for your help.

Umm, if a crank sensor fails, some (most?) Have more than 1 crank sensorā€¦ and since it works on pulses, it will throw a code when the pulse doesnā€™t match up with the camshaft sensor, and initially default into ā€œlimp modeā€ then a stall condition. It doesnā€™t know the position of the crank in relation to camshaft, which produces ugly issues. If itā€™s intermittent, Iā€™d try replacing each coil yourself, fairly easy job, and attempt to see which one causes the misfire. If itā€™s intermittent, Iā€™d replace all if itā€™s feasible. But, with no crank or camshaft codes, and no stall or no start condition, Iā€™d doubt seriously itā€™s a crank sensor. Sticking valves, thatā€™d be more of a constant problem that would go away with heat, in my logicā€¦but Iā€™m just a diyā€™erā€¦

Thanks for the input. That makes sense to me too, but I know less than a DIYer. :slight_smile:

I hope someone else didnā€™t mention this, I donā€™t have much time right now, Dakotas are known to have and connector(s) problem to the computer, while running wiggle (Slightly) the connectors to see if it disappears. I was hunting for a truck and found a dakota with this problem, owner put a water bottle wedged between the computer and I forget what the other thingy was. Needless to say, I didnā€™t buy it because connectors are/were impossible to find unless you rewire the truck.

@dave_33770 Iā€™m thinking it is something electrical and related to fuel supply. Misfired badly this past Friday and check engine light came one. Drove it into AutoZone and asked them to put on their analyzer. Got the 0300 for multiple engine misfires, multiple cylinders. But also got P0202 . See attachedautozone 4576 dakota misfires-001

A fuel injector fault stored in the PCM, that is some help. Have you returned to the shop to show them the misfire so that it could be diagnosed? Or do you intend to diagnose this yourself?

I will be taking it to a shop in town that specializes in auto electrical issues. They are highly recommended and reasonably priced.

You wouldnā€™t think a fault with a single injector would cause misfires in all the cylinders. But sometimes the computer isnā€™t able to accurately identify which cylinder is misfiring. Best bet is to address the fuel injector problem first, as fixing that might solve the other problems too. Best of luck.

Yup. Thanks.

Hey Jeffā€¦I have the identical problem with my 2004 Mitsubishi Raider
I was wondering what you found outā€¦ please let me know as this is driving me crazy!

Thanks,
Richard