Interference style engines and timing belts

“most of the other users in this forum prefer chains.”

Count me in the minority

I like belts just fine

I’m not sure if I prefer one over the other, though

The first car I remember that used a belt was the Ford Pinto…You could change that belt in about 20 minutes…That little engine could be hot-rodded very successfully…

Compression ratio is not at all dependent on bore and stroke ratios…It’s strictly a matter of combustion chamber volume which can be manipulated in many ways…

“The engineering team designing the head probably has no idea whether the valves can hit the piston or not”

Does anyone seriously think the head an piston on a modern engine are designed separately?
This white paper gives some insight to what choices were made in designing the engine used for 10 years in some of Toyota’s most popular cars:

http://www.spyderchat.com/1zzfe.pdf

this is a stupid question but is a serpentine belt a timing belt?

The only timing chain I ever had to replace was on a 1984 Chevy Impala V8. It got noisy and my mechanic recommended replacing it then rather than later.

It cost $225 or so for a new heavy duty twin sprocket gear and chain set.

I had to replace the chain and sprocket on my 75 ford 360 motor in 2010 0r 2011, the chain was still good, sprocket was stripped. parts were under 35 bucks but had to get parts for 73 motor, guy at parts store said ford used up leftover parts whenever possible in that era

A serpentine belt isn’t a timing belt. The serpentine belt drive accessories, like alternator, power steering pump, and ac comp.

thanks

The timing belt drives the camshaft(s) and usually the water pump. It’s name “timing belt” is derived from its primary function of “timing” the camshafts relative to the crankshaft.

The two belts, the timing belt and the serp belt, do not resemble one another. Because there’s no timing issue for the alternator, power steering pump, etc., the serp belt will be a form of “V” belt, usually a flattened form with multiple "V"s to enable it to bend readily in both directions. Slippage is not desirable in a serp belt, but it isn’t a disaster either. Because cam timing is critical, the timing belt will be a “cogged” belt, with teeth that engage the cogs on the crankshaft and cams to eliminate the possibility of slipping and maintain perfect timing.

Make sure you get the right one:

Would that be considered a “toothed” belt?
No extra charge for the tensioner?

What kind of car is that? A Viper? Doesn’t look like a Cobra.

mountainbike makes a good point

serpentine belts are sometimes referred to as cogged v belts or poly v belts

Don Prudhomme’s car:

That photo is of the Goodyear Anaconda.

I think there is a constriction in the air intake.