Insurance is towing my vehicle to a Copart 110 miles away. Is she ever coming back? Should I ask to take her to a local body shop first instead?

Copart is not a body shop. It is an auction place that insurance companies use to dispose of wrecked cars. Is the insurance company providing you with a loaner car?

1 Like

easier said than done…13 years is a long time. but i appreciate your perspective

they did offer me a rental. i can walk to the grocery store and pharmacy though, the only thing i’d need it for is doc appointments in town.

I have an important doctor’s appointment in town 80miles away in mid September, so I am going to wait to start the rental for another week or two just to make sure I don’t run out of time to use it before then.

Sounds good. Good luck at the doc!

1 Like

thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could possibly register to buy the car back, co-part auctions wrecked cars for insurance companies but also sells fleet cars and ones that are just too high mileage for dealer’s tastes. Never know there could easily be a functional vehicle that’s been donated to a charity or just looks a little rough cosmetically but runs and drives.

Unless I missed it, I have to wonder why your car is being hauled off and there is no mention of how much they are willing to pay you for the wreck.

IMO, that car ain’t going anywhere until there’s a satisfactory check in my hand. I have somewhat of a strong distaste for insurance adjusters as they have always tried to lowball me.

my guess is that the adjuster doesn’t want to come here because it’s a bit rural, with only one bodyshop that is not gieco approved…but I couldn’t say for sure, that’s just a guess.

i did just check up on the claim online and it does say that they think this may be a total loss, so that may be why they picked a salvage yard over a bodyshop.

Not necessarily the insurance adjuster but the insurance company. Rather than send an adjuster 100 miles in different directions, the adjuster can inspect your car at the auction yard while inspecting 10 other vehicles.

1 Like

oh that makes sense.

i do kinda wish the adjuster would come here, but i’m not sure that will change the outcome of the claim so idk it it’s worth asking.

they said they will tow it between today and tuesday which seems like kind of a long time (accident was on thursday) but again maybe it’s just due to my location.

You could insist that the car remains in your possession until a settlement is reached but they have streamlined the prosses to reduce costs. After the car is in their possession however, your negotiation abilities may be limited.

A suggestion; before letting the fate of your car and/or compensation be decided by the other person’s insurance company, check with your insurance company as to how they will handle this situation if you file through your own insurance. That will give you options.

You are not obligated to deal with the other person’s insurance. You can file the claim through your own insurance. After all, you pay premiums to have your insurance for your protection.

If you do go through your insurance, you normally will have to pay the deductible and wait to get that money back once your insurance company gets final settlement from the other person’s insurance.

Realistically, having to pay the deductible is not always in one’s budget. So you will have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of possibly filing through your own insurance.

1 Like

Deductible to scrap a car? Who do you pay?

oh interesting. why would my negotiating abilities be limited after they are in possession of the car?

Uhm… my error. I’m thinking in terms of when getting a damaged vehicle repaired.

If the car is totaled then there should be no deductible involved.

Thank you for catching and calling out my tired brain error.

Unlikely you would want to tow the car to your house to retain possession and hold out for more money, but you probably would not want to salvage or repair the car.

My error. I misunderstood and thought you still have possession and were asking about having the determination about repair versus the car being totaled.

My suggestion to check with your insurance to see if it is in your best interest to file through them instead of letting the other person’s insurance be in control of the process was based on thinking you still have the car on hand and wondering whether or not to let it be towed one-hundred miles away by the other party.

How are you feeling?

I dunno, but I think the main issue is whether it is totaled or not. Wherever it is now maybe your agent or a local guy can quick look at it to provide a clearer picture. Regardless of where it is towed to though, you still have the title and own it until you sign it over. If they tow it and you then decide to fix it, you could have it done in the larger city where it is being towed to to give you more options.

It doesn’t have to be a complicatied thing. I had my accident Friday night, the car was towed to the warehouse. I picked my stuff up on Saturday morning and met with my agent. Sometime during the week when I was off to school, they paid my dad, he paid the bank, and found me another car. So all done in a week. Even if repairable, right now there may be problems with parts, significant time to repair it, and shops too busy to get it in right away. But I still think from the way the back end is pushed in, there is significant undercarriage damage, more than just a quarter panel, trunk, etc.

1 Like

Bless you, you are kind to ask.

Still dealing with some after effects of the mild concussion I had a few months ago. And just getting over being sick for a week with a virus (not covid) making the rounds here.

All leads to having a frazzled brain at times.

I did not mean to confuse the OP with my suggestion of asking about filing through his or her own insurance.