Increased mileage- electronic fuel injection

Amen to that, Whitey. Are we seriously talking about trying to turn a Mustang into a Corolla?

As you say those mods were for economy,I’m talking about reduced power for when you give your car to the valet for parking,just sticks in my mind that some high-end car had this feature.

With all due respect, I think you guys need to start staying awake during the news. This isn’t 1950. Plenty of young women are driving as if Satan were personally chasing them. Not too long ago there was a girl who died in a high speed wreck with her dad’s powerful car.

Also, it would not be the first time in history if some boy with her wheedled her into letting him drive.

Get her a Geo Prism. She will be alive to complain about it.

So your question really is How can current F.I. be improved to give better mpg? Are you asking what can a DYI or what can the manufactures do? By the amount of postings on this forum better 02 sensors, so many posts about 02 sensor concerns,followed by cats.

I dunno, aside from a very small minority of girls I just don’t see them racing about. Most girls are involved in accidents where someone wasn’t paying attention or wasn’t following traffic rules. I used to be heavily involved with the car community, imports, and racers in the 90’s and in that time I never met a speed crazy girl with wild driving habits. I met girls who liked putting crazy colors on their cars and dressing them up, but never met any who drove their cars like guys do. I’m in New England, so I can’t speak for California car culture, but I still think the mythical fast driving crazy girl with a death wish exists only in movies and in a tiny minority of the car world.

Some people watch a little too much news and get paranoid. Some crazy guy took someone’s head off on a Greyhound bus a few days ago-does that mean buses aren’t safe anymore? No of course not-it’s the first time it’s happened in decades.

I am agreeing

Please notice I acknowledge “teenage lapses of sound judgement” (not gender based, either). Also, I pointed out the challenge of “peer pressure.” According to my ground rules, any infractions result in loss of driving.

Notice also that my son made it through to become 21 with no violations or accidents, resulting in ever decreasing insurance rates.

Fortunately, some states are limiting passengers for novice drivers, much like the aviation world has always done.

Just to be on the safe side, I’m considering the “chip.”

P.S.
A lot has to do with how the children are raised, the gene pool, and examples set by parents. How resposible and mature is the kid? That’s kind of what insurance companies want to know. My son got a substantial “good student” discount in high school and college both, from our insurer.

I like to surround the child with a lot of iron (big car). Not all “accidents” are your fault. I sleep better that way.

Yes, how can a DYI mod an EFI to improve MPG?

Horsepower can be a mis-leading number. It is basically Torque X RPM. A higher revving engine may produce more HP than a lower revving engine, but the lower revving engine has more overall pulling power. Most diesel pick-ups are running under 200 HP, but torque numbers are in the upper 600 Ft-lbs. A comparable gas engine may have 300 HP, but only 350 ft-lbs of torque.

Also, the early 80’s was a dark time for V8s. The complicated emissions additions really killed top end power, and 158 HP was not unusual for the same engine that was producing 300 HP from the factory ten years earlier.

Smaller diameter exhaust will lower gas milage and lower horsepower, the bigger the better. And most add-ons that increase fuel economy, will actually raise horsepower

trust yes… but girls are just as likely to be lead-footers here in Maine