Importing cars

That sounds like a pretty cool idea, do you know how much he sells them for? One of these days I’m going to buy myself an original bug convertible to play with (before they start getting expensive). Last time I checked they were running about $5-8K.

The last time I read about this, I think he was charging $20,000 or so. That would likely be with a rebuilt engine/gearbox rather than a new one. The price has probably gone up by now.

Very interesting, that sounds much cooler than any current $20K cars (if there are any $20K cars left).

Most people who claim they’re building “new” beetles are building new “old” Beetles with what are usually sold as replacement parts for older Beetles. The Mexi-Beetles are a totally different beast. For a few years, Mexico just kept building generic Beetles similar to the 1968 model year, but in the 80’s VW of Mexico actually started revising the design themselves. The Beetles that were still being sold in Mexico until 2004 were still air-cooled and used body parts made by the original German stamps, but were otherwise a completely modern car. The fuel injection system on them is similar to what’s used on the new VW’s sold in this country as are the interiors. Plus, impressively enough, they actually meet Mexico City emissions, which are actually more stringent than US requirements. They are supposedly incredibly efficient, extremely reliable and don’t require the constant maintenence that the old ones did.

I don’t think I would want any bug design later than about '71 (no super-beetles, definitely no fuel injection), because that’s when they started getting too complex. An early/mid 60s design would be better. Simpler = better.

Mexico and Brazil were the only 2 countries left manufacturing the beetle. They must share some engineering, and the Brazilians have built thousands to run on pure sugar cane alcohol. Don’t know if they still make them in Brazil. The Beetle died elswhere because it could not be made to meet US and European safety collison standards.

Jimmy Durante flogged the last US ones with the curved windshield and his cute female companions.

Drive an Infiniti G35x and see if you can make the switch.

I think those type I engines would run on anything, for a while anyway. I have a pen holder made from a 1600 #3 piston with a big hole in it from an exhaust valve.

The Beetle died elswhere because it could not be made to meet US and European safety collison standards.

Not only safety standards, but also emission standards. In case you haven’t noticed, air-cooled engines have disappeared (in most cases) because it’s almost impossible to meet pollution targets with the poor temperature control of air cooling. Water cooling gives much better engine temperature control.

Agree; putting a waterooled engine in the back of an already tail-heavy car would not have made much sense, although Porsche has managed to do so.
Also other cars, such as the Austin America, Renault FWD series, were all much more space-efficient.

That’s not true. Like I was saying above, the newer Mexi-Beetles met Mexico City emissions standards which are about as stringent as US federal standards. And an air-cooled VW with all the engine tin in place and a functioning thermostat will hold a temperature just fine. It definitely requires more engineering finesse to make a good air-cooled engine, but it’s not impossible by any means. I suspect the demise of air-cooled motors from US roads has more to do with the noise and the heater systems and with the difficulty of marketing an air-cooled car.

I say this from the bottom of my heart, “DON’T DO IT!” I just finished servicing a 2003 156 2.5; and though it is an amazing car; parts are either from England, or Australia (depending on when the parts are found to be needed). There are “NO PARTS,” in the U.S. (even a stupit oil filter must be ordered, & delivered from England). Then theres the “other parts,” like the timing belt, and serpintine belt (for the A/C, power stearing, alternator, and waterpump. If you want one, and don’t wish to “Live in Hell,” move to Europe! I love Alfa’s, but until they start to have a distribution chain here for anything sold after 1994 I’d avoid it! Here’s my Alfa shop link http://autovolante.tripod.com/ . I have the "special tools (from a 24 valve V6 ALFA that allowed us to position the cams, and #1/5 cylinders to TDC; just to replace the "Timing Belt, a couple idler pullies, and lastly the tensioner! I did it with the engine in the car , and I mention it because the ALFA shop manual was a “Horror Storiy,” that ended with the drivetrain, and engine being removed (you can do it this way) but only if you a Billionare! We race ALFA’s IMSA, and SCCA, also sell parts, but the 156 V6 4Cam 24 Valve (at this time) we use in our IMSA race car. I race a 1974 GTA (A for aluminum body rather than steel), and our shop has been getting 1997-8 Twin Plug/ four cam Bosch Injected engines to replace the twin cam, two valve, inline four w/1 spark plug for the last five years with incredable sucess Attached is my baby.

There were definitely emissions issues with air cooled engines, that is the primary reason that the 911 finally (unfortunately) went to a liquid cooled design. Have you ever watched the head temperature gauge fluctuate with load on an air cooled engine? Also, those air cooling thermostats tended to be problematic, may of them were just removed to give maximum cooling all the time (not great for heat in the winter).

The hetat issue was defintely important. Ask anyone in the Northern states or Canada, and they will confess to a love/hate relationship with the beetle. Also the noise made the car sound crude and uncivilized compared to much improved economy cars from Japan.

That’s a cool looking car.

I had a '70 bug in college (in new england) with rusted out heater control cables, I just wired the heater flap fully open all winter. It didn’t help much because the heater boxes were also very rusty. Also, it had large holes in the floor and the right front shock mount had completely rusted away. I used to periodically blow the engine and buy a “new” junkyard engine for about $50. It had no starter for a while, so I just parked on hills. It actually worked pretty well in the snow. In other words, it was the perfect college car.

I always liked the “uncivilized” engine sound, some day I’ll buy a restored one to play with.

That’s much better than alfaromeo.com.