Impact wrench (cordless) advice

Off subject here but never could understand the mentality of people like that.

I started counting my Ryobi tools (all sharing 5 batteries and 2 on-wall charges now) and and quickly went over 10 - pretty much all used on regular basis and none failed on me in DIY projects I do. very happy with all of them

I canā€™t wait for the battery powered version.

Tester

Are you quite sure about that?

Thatā€™s a Snap-On 3/8" drive impact driver kit

Iā€™ve used it quite a few times during my years as an automotive mechanic

I agree with the idea of buying a cordless impact wrench to use for performing vehicle maintenance and repairs. However, I would avoid Milwaukee for the simple reason that their tools are grossly overpriced. Milwaukee tools are among the most expensive on the market, and command these prices due to marketing and hype. Other manufacturers offer tools which are just as good for a lot less money.

I have discovered that the Hart brand, which was developed by Walmart, but sold at other retailers as well, provides excellent performance and bang-for-the-buck to the DIYer. I personally own their 3/8" impact wrench, model # HPIW50, their 1/2" impact wrench, model # HPIW01, their 1/2" hammer drill, model # HPHD25B, three batteries, and two chargers. I purchased all of these tools online on Amazon and Ebay for less than the regular retail price at Walmartā€“which is not expensive for the quality of these tools.

I can tell you that the 1/2" impact wrench is certainly powerful enough to remove stubborn lug nuts, crankshaft pulley bolts, motor mount bolts, even cylinder head bolts. The 3/8" impact wrench is also very powerful, even compared to other brands costing twice the price, and so is the hammer drill. The batteries are very good quality, and hold their charge even when the tool isnā€™t used for weeks or months.

As a side note, I would suggest using a 1/2" impact wrench only to loosen/remove fasteners, and never to tighten any fasteners other than lug nuts or the large bolt at the center of the crankshaft pulley. Most fasteners should be tightened using a ratchet handle, followed by setting the final torque with a torque wrench.

And speaking of that, after doing a lot of careful research, and considering shelling out $700+ for a professional brand torque angle wrench, I ordered the ATD Tools ATD-12550, and can vouch that for the DIYer, it is just as good as a Snap-On or MAC Tools torque angle wrench would be, at a fraction of the cost. I also got the Quinn 3/8" digital torque angle wrench from Harbor Freight Tools, which is decent for the money, but not nearly as good as the ATD Tools one.

1 Like

Iā€™m a DIYer and for 1/2" drive cordless I would recommend the compact version over the full size version cordless impact. In my case I have both although they happen to be DeWalt. Choose whatever brand you like. Iā€™ve found that the compact 1/2" dr. impact is plenty powerful for lug nuts. Unless they were previously gorilla tightened, even when I accidentally left the power setting on low it removed the lug nuts without issue. Because itā€™s smaller it fits into tighter spaces better such as doing brake work in the wheel well area. Get the larger one if you want but itā€™s overkill for occasional use. These days I use the compact impact way more often than the full sized impact.

Although I do have a couple of aftermarket batteries, I think youā€™d be better off in the long run with the same brand batteries and charger as your impact tool (whatever brand you decide). Iā€™d look for a kit that contains all of them plus a carry bag.

Check some YouTube videos for product reviews to help you decide on a brand.

hart is made in china. any US made ones?

As are all Milwaukee power tools, Ryobi power tools, Makita power tools, etc. The point being ā€œwhy pay for Milwaukee when the Hart tool is just as good for a third of the cost?ā€

I have a 3/8" Milwaukee Fuel impact. I use a 4ah battery on it and it will pull lug nuts off a truck, with a little troubleā€¦ but it is only a 3/8". I like it as it has a very small compact size and the body of the impact is very short allowing you to get it into many difficult to reach places. My pneumatic 3/8" hasnā€™t been used since I purchased it.

AVID POWER 20V MAX Cordless Impact Wrench with 1/2"Chuck, Max Torque 330 ft-lbs (450N.m), 3.0A Li-ion Battery, 4Pcs Drive Impact Sockets, 1 Hour Fast Charger and Tool Bag, Avid Power https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z91YKLC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_KHH1BY0Y3P2AE2XT7BYM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Alright. Im gonna try this out.

you should read the negative reviews too, not just the good ones. a lot of times the good ones are fake. just my thoughts

1 Like

Yeah, I wouldnā€™t buy the AVID POWER impact wrench either. Several reviewers cited poor performance, and the fact that replacement batteries are not available. I would again reiterate my recommendation to go with the Hart brand, and yes there are replacement batteries and chargers readily available at your local Walmart (as well as various online resellers).

1 Like

Like I said above, Iā€™d spend the money for a wrench thatā€™s part of a large group of tools, like my Ryobis. Several brands have that, and will be around (with replacement batteries, if needed).

3 Likes

I read the reviews for that no name impact wrench . No amount of positive ones can cancel out the 1 star ones .

3 Likes

I agree. Otherwise the battery just sits there, and they do degrade over time even when not being used.

The exception is if thereā€™s a cordless tool available in the same brand I already have. I use my drills a lot, so the batteries arenā€™t being wasted if I get a reciprocating saw that uses the same battery, even if I only use it once a year or so.

4 Likes

I have no experience with cordless drivers but question how far theyā€™ll get with suspensions. To change the front half shafts on our Outback I needed a stronger (Snap On, pricey) 1/2in. drive air wrench - the 3/8in. air drive budget unit I tried first was too weak.

I would think 3/8" drive anything would be insufficient for suspension. I know there are better tools available but my Ryobi impact wrench with 1/2" drive took off rusty strut bolts no problem. I think I had to recharge the tool once during the task.

That has the same advertised torque as my mid torque DeWalt 894. Iā€™ve heard DeWalt is coming out with a new line I am hoping to see a deal on the 899b high torque Iā€™d like to have that also.

No one is going to read this far anyway but I have a cheap air impact. It is only used once in a while and sometimes when I have tried other tools first. It isnā€™t powerful enough to crack lug nuts, but once you do that with a breaker, it saves effort removing and reinstalling them again. The thing with battery tools though, is the batteries can go kaput.

I bought a DW 1/4 battery impact driver and I use that for lots of stuff that I used to do by hand. FWIW or what you paid for.