"Imagine if voters could apply CAFE standards to government . . . " (by Scott Burgess/Detroit News)

Not to mention you would have 40 million workers now without any healthcare insurance. Or are we going to immediately put them on SS & Med. roles?

Give me a million bucks tax free and I’ll buy my own insurance.

Actually, I, like many others in the over 50 category, would retire with insurance from my current employer under my current pension plan.

Or, if they exempt the million dollar payout from the needs testing for veteran’s health car, I’ll use the VA system.

I can just imagine what inflation rate would be if everyone starts walking around with a million bucks to spend. You can bet prices would go through the roof.

"shadowbox"
Many thanks for a well written post…it’s good to see some sane people out there who actually understand the effects of tax structure. “I won’t raise your taxes” is a sure fire way to get elected when addressing the middle class, but a sure fire way of creating deficits when extended to those who have most of America’s wealth.
I repeat; there is not one conservative administration who has proposed a balanced budget. Only those tax and spend, evil liberals have ever done it or come close. You know, the ones who used to actually promote middle class values. Now our two parties are conservative and conservative light.
It’s time for “run off” elections so real progressive ideas can be heard that address our world wide problems.

As far as walking around with a million dollars, many people actually have a million in holdings ( I bet many on this forum do) and still can’t afford a lifetime of insurance costs and health expenses. A million is no where near what it used to be especially if you are a family head with college expenses and rearing children in your future. “One” million dollar holders can’t afford it. You had better have a well paying job too.

Earlier jtsanders suggested we write to our elected officials, because they don’t know what we want. Well, I’ve done so, both individually and through group petitions from groups I support or belong to (or both). I get a form reply, if anything. I get the feeling I might as well be talking to the wind. Now that the Supremes have let any anonymous corporation buy any election they want, who cares what we think? And why should they? Congressional representation is a tag-sale. We have the best Congress money can buy.

Dagosa: I agree with everything you said. Especially “conservative/conservative-light” and the runoff elections idea.

I’ve gotten form responses, too. It seems to occur when I provide opinions that I don’t think that particular representative shares. And whatever we say may not be the most popular sentiment the elected representatives hear. All you can do is write. Yes, there is only one of you, but if lots of us express our opinions, at least they will be better informed - and they will know that we are, too.

It seems whenever a politician promises a tax cut, I end up paying more.

If he is a Republican, I don’t make enough money.

If he is a Democrat, I make too much.

Point One…Mountainbike is a Genius!!!
Point Two…Why cut taxes for the rich instead of raising them? THEY can afford higher taxes!
Point Three…“A good compromise leaves everybody mad.”–Calvin
Point Four…Do we need another Revolution already?!?
Point Five…Anybody here running for President? I’m serious.

I’m flattered. But it truely is something a friend sent me. I can take no credit for the idea.

Okay then…Moumtainbike’s source is a genius.

In the words of Douglas Adams, “Those most capable of getting elected to rule, are, in fact, those least suited to do it…:People are a problem.”

@Shiftkicker
I will in about 4 years. I’m only 31 right now, and I believe the youngest a person can run is 35