Ideas for fuel efficient cars- used

toyota’s Yaris (and the scion models) replaced the Echo.

A huge part of fuel economy is how the driver behaves on the road - whether you’re driving it like it was stolen, or whether you drive it like your granny to save gas

i fully agree. i get 40 mpg with a corolla le automatic. partly by driving like a granny (who ignores speed limits). and largely by going so far as to plan fuel burns, prior to shifting to N and just coasting.

I’ll actually recommend our car, a 2002 Chevy Malibu with the V6. It’s been a faithful friend to us. I’m 6’2", and I fit in it very well. On the highway, ours gets around 30 MPG, and in mainly city driving it gets around 22-23 MPG. We’ve been very happy with it.

I don’t consider 30 good gas mileage for a car.

Wifes 96 Accord easily gets 35 highway with the 4 cylinder. One car we’ve been looking at is the Avalon or Lexus ES-350. Both with a V6 and the same EPA rating as my wifes 96 Accord. The Accord is fine for my 6’3" 220lbs frame…and the Lexus is ever better. Much bigger then the 96 Accord at the same gas mileage.

EPA mileage is one thing, reality is quite different.

I’ve ALWAYS been able to beat the EPA mileage estimate on every vehicle I’ve owned since they started posting the ratings.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am reading up on some of them now. The Xa sounds appealing to me, but I have not read about the rest yet.

Hmmmm…big inside, small outside. Inexpensive with excellent gas mileage.

Have you looked at the new Scion xB?

I haven’t, but I doubt I can afford a new anything. :slight_smile: But what they hey, I’m looking at everything right now! Looking doesn’t hurt, until you fall in love with something/someone out of your league, right? lol

The Echo was just replaced with its newer cousin, the Yaris/Vitz.

Be willing to look further for a used Echo, if that is what you like.

I would’ve suggested looking at a used Classic NHW11 2001-2003 Prius (a compact sedan, which the subcompact Echo was styled after), but you liked the fold-down rear seats of the Echo which the Classic Prius doesn’t have… In general, good for tall from the waist people, but tall in the legs people can be hit or miss. But, you’d be in a similar situation of trying to find one as with the Echo, as sales volumes in the US were similar (Echo slightly better than the Classic Prius).

I have a Saturn SL that gets between 38 and 40 mpg depending on season. At 137k miles it has been one of the most reliable cars I’ve had, and that includes Toyota’s Honda’s and Nissan’s.

The replacement model for the SL, can’t think of the name but it looks like a slightly larger Echo, speedo in the center of the dash too, gets about 35 mpg. A used one should be well under your target as Saturn’s simply don’t hold as much value as Toyota’s and Honda’s do.

Wifes 96 Accord easily gets 35 highway with the 4 cylinder.

Hate to be a doubting Thomas, but I doubt it. It was only rated 25 city/30 highway.

If you’re comfortable driving a standard, really like the Corolla/Prisms (had 4 of them) with the 1.8. With 120 hp on tap and 40 mpg potential on highway, it’s hard to beat. The 02 Prism had a worse mpg of 38 in the short time I had it, mostly commuting. My vote and first recomendation…Can’t go wrong with the Civics either. Econo boxes like the Scions are too much of a comprimose W/O a great gain in economy IMO.

Just drove my daughter’s '97 Mazda Protege (1.5L) from Austin to Ann Arbor. 41 mpg at 65 mph with the AC blowing cold.

the epa ratings do not represent upper limits.

the 40 mpg i get with my corolla is higher than the epa ratings for even the yaris. higher than ANY other sedan short of the hybrids.

i’m sure there are others out there too, who can better epa ratings. it just takes extra skill and “special techniques.” :wink:

Rav 4 is great size for taller people…but in awd not the kind of economy you’re looking for. A 2 wd version might be to your liking…still not in Echo territory. Our Rav is a low 20 mpg to high 20’s in awd, auto. With the Camry engine geared down a little…it sounds like you wouldn’t be happy with economy.

[quote]Hate to be a doubting Thomas, but I doubt it. It was only rated 25 city/30 highway.[/qjuote]

Try again…

27/32 is the rating…

EVERY vehicle I’ve owned since the EPA ratings were ever published I’ve ALWAYS been able to beat the rating…ALWAYS.

I would recommend a Scion xB, if the styling doesn’t turn you off too much. They get around 28 in the city and 33+ on the highway, and are quite roomy. Given that you are used to a minivan, this may be the best transition for you.

The Echo was replace because it didn’t sell well. It was not good looking, and not only to me. I read nore than one review of the Yaris that told that story.

I haven’t, but I doubt I can afford a new anything. :slight_smile: But what they hey, I’m looking at everything right now! Looking doesn’t hurt, until you fall in love with something/someone out of your league, right? lol

A new xA with auto starts just over 14k brand new. If you can be a bit flexible with your maximum to spend, you could get a new one.

Get a late model compact Focus or Cavalier with a manual transmission. You get more car for your money and the bugs are almost completely gone but dealers are plentiful if you have a problem. You can slip under the wire with one of these as conventional knowledge these days is hung up on oriental cars which keeps prices higher.