I think my fuel pump is weak on 1997 Civic with 375k miles

O’m not saying it is not a fuel pump but noise can be deceiving. I had a new Buick Park Avenue and at 20,000 miles the fuel pump started making some noise. I think it was fine though and never had a problem for the next 100,000 miles.

1 Like

It could be a fuel pump, or several other things. Checking fuel pressure at the engine while under load should tell you more.

Fuel pumps have a way of failing abruptly, at inconvenient times/places and yours is at ~ 2x its expected life.

1 Like

I replaced the relay last night as I suspect now that the lack of sound might have been that my relay was going bad. It’s amazing how cheap the $65 relay is! My car was stolen then recovered by GPS in February, and they took the OEM relay that I had removed years ago suspecting it was bad (it was the distributor cap). The OEM was heavier and rock solid. The new one is a cheap POS.

The point with a Honda is that only the parts that I replaced go bad. The original parts are still working, basically.

But, the car is still losing power after a couple of minutes driving, especially up a hill so I’m going to check my fuel pressure. However, the key-in-ignition sound from the relay is nice and loud now. Something was too quiet. Thanks everybody! I read all the comments.

With an old pump it may work fine cold, but after warm up may start to reduce output. I had a Olds Ciera over 20 years. Just before I got rid of it, it would start fine but in 10 minutes would just quit. To replace required the gas tank to be dropped. I ended up donating to a local charity shop. I told them the problem and 2 weeks later the car was gone.

Try to connect a fuel pressure gauge and leave it on as you drive. You will probably see good pressure until you hit that hill. I’ll bet you’ll see the pressure fluctuating right when it’s running bad. At that point replace the pump.