I had and oil change, but they forgot to top off the oil for 2000 miles

I will admit that I have used a quick oil change place on occasion, one that starts with the letter V. They ALWAYS show me the (full) oil level on the dipstick after they are finished. While this is no proof the filter and drain plug have been properly tightened and don’t leak, at least I know the oil level is correct.

Several problems here.

1. Local quick lube joint.
  2. Not checking your oil after the quick lube joint.
  3. Not checking your oil in 2000 miles.
  4. going back to the quick lube joint.
  5. You would not have made it 2000 miles if they didn’t put oil in.
  6. How much is several, how do you know, since most quick lubes use bulk oil not quart bottles
  7. What is “silicone oil”.
  8. “They” didn’t forget to top off the oil for 2000 miles, you forgot to.
  9. Local quick lube joint.

Running an engine several quarts (or more…) low is detrimental to the engine for several reasons.

Higher oil temps lead to coking and seized oil control rings, lowered oil pressure, less oil being slung by the crank journals to lube the cylinder walls, etc, etc.

1 Like

First, I have to ask, did you really go 2,000 miles without checking your oil? There is no way your car went 2,000 miles with no oil in it. I think it is mere coincidence. You either have a leak or your engine is burning oil, but to blame the people who changed the oil after you’ve neglected your car is going to be impossible.

1 Like

The Iffy Lube employee (not a mechanic) was not hung over; he hadn’t quit drinking.

Those were the two items that stood-out the most to me.
I have never heard of “silicone oil”, and the only way that the kids at that quickie lube shop “forgot to top off your oil for 2,000 miles” would be if the OP drove to the quickie lube–repeatedly–asked for the oil to be checked, and the people at the lube shop “forgot” to do what he requested each time that he visited. And, we all know that this was not the scenario in this situation.

In reality, the OP failed to either check the oil himself, or to have somebody else do it for him/her–for 2,000 miles–and on a vehicle with 120k on the odometer, that is… not a good idea. Actually, that wouldn’t be a good idea on any car, but with that many miles on the odometer, it is a really good way to destroy an engine.

Well, Ben, that was a stupid comment. Why are you picking on young people trying to start a career in auto repair? My nephew started at a fast Lube shop and then moved on to a full service shop after he learned enough. That learning wasn’t so much about how to change fluids and filters as it was about how to be a professional. Show up on time and ready for work every day. Know how to service any brand that comes into the shop in a timely manner. I have used JL for oil changes for years. The shop I use has a foreman that checks all work performed to make sure it’s done properly. I always check the ground for oil before I drive off, and check the oil level when I get home. No problems so far.

Back when, in high school, kids that were interested in cars worked at a gas station. That way they got to pump gas, meet the public, and get exposed to different types of repairs such as tires, cooling, belts, and in addition oil changes. I guess I’d be a little grumpy spending all day in a pit pulling drain plugs and filters, but I guess the difference between the golden arches and a restaurant.

I have 3 old SUVs, 2000 Jeep over 200K, and two Mitsubishi Montero sport 2000 and 2002, almost 150K on 2000 and 185K the oldest, they have very good driving condition because I always check my cars oils and other maintenance related spots or check points , rarely have a major problems with my over 20 deferent old cars I had in the past 30 years or so, I can’t imagine let my cars over 2000 mile and not to check their oils and other lubrications, you are correct VOLVO- V70, by the way I had Volvo 240, 260, 740 turbo and 850, they all served me well till their last days of my ownerships like the other brands I had, only because of well maintenance procedures.

From my experience, cars that are operated by owners who do not heed the Owner’s Manual admonition regarding checking the engine oil at every fuel fill or cars whose owners operate the vehicle low on oil (below add mark on dipstick) have abbreviated life-spans.
CSA :palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree: