I finally remembered

keith thanks for your info, I’m sorry I forgot to mention that my overdrive question was in reference to my 14’ 95 GMC box truck (u-haul resale), it’s an automatic and the shift marking is ‘O’ (overdrive) which comes before the D, then the numbers.

When you said “freewheel” does that mean drive by itself? Cause it does that in all movement gears.

Fog Lights’ - when there is thick fog are we suppose to turn off the headlights and just use the fog lights? Are running lights suitable fog lights?

Fog lamps are made to help you see better.  So which gives you the best light under the conditions.  You may find one combination best for one situation and another best for another.  

A few variables includes:

the height from the ground to the lamp
the height of the head lamps if you are using them, or not
the fog conditions
the heigh of the driver’s seat
other lights in the area……

Good Luck and drive carefully.

After being #16 in a 16 vehicle fatal accident involving caused by the fog, I am very careful when driving in the fog or snow.

The company I worked for before I retired had a GMC pickup of that era and the “O” was for most driving, “D” was for pulling a trailer. You will have to look in your owners manual to find out what the conditions for the use of each gear is.

as for the freewheeling, I don’t know how it worked, I’d guess it had a centrifugal clutch or something but when you took your foot off the gas, it was like pressing down the clutch, no vacuum braking.

@ JosephEMeehan thanks for your info; sorry to hear of your traumatic accident.

@ Keith I bought my truck used so I have no owner’s manual [off to ebay to search]

Before you do ebay, just google for the manual, it may be available as a FREE download somewhere.

Many years ago, an uncle had an old pre-war Ford, can’t remember if it was 1940 or what. But, he kept that old Ford polished and tuned up great. He also drove like the demons were chasing him. He installed what seemed like an overdrive, and he called it a Columbia Overdrive.

http://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com/Pages/default.aspx

Seems they were used 1935 to 1948.

What are the rules for driving in fog? Slow down to 20 mph and get rear ended by an 18 wheeler? Pull off the road and turn on blinkers and get away from the car, assuming it will get plowed into?
We just had 3 people killed on VA 77, many injuries, numerous crashes, fires, mangled trucks, an eight mile traffic jam, thousands of gallons and hours wasted – even in daylight with warnings posted of severe fog. Why aren’t there LAWS that say EVERYBODY turn on blinkers and slow down to 20 mph in dense fog, especially all BIG trucks? Gin-V 130402

Not sure it was a continuous fog in VA. This is the time of year we have a lot of fog patches (especially near rivers and lakes). Drive along at 70…then WHAM - Thick Fog. Some people panic and brake…I try to slow down BEFORE I reach the fog (you usually can see it during the day).

You have to slow down to a speed where you can safely drive the road. If it means 10mph…then drop down to 10mph.

Just to answer a few of your quetions–#5 no and yes, #7 very little, #8 That “thingy” is the fuel pump and the fuel gage, #10 Yes.

I’d say, for as huge as that wreck was(95 cars?), only 3 people killed is a small miracle.

I’ve seen people out driving when there’s very little light left(sunset) and/or it’s pouring down rain without headlights on. I almost turned in front of someone because I couldn’t see them until the last moment