I don't like the solid yellow left turn arrows that come with the newer flashing yellow arrows

The intersection I usually use will have a green arrow with oncoming traffic having a red light. A flashing yellow with the oncoming traffic having a green light, with the flashing yellow then turning to a solid yellow and then red. I don’t have to stop at all for a green, flashing yellow, or yellow. I can proceed directly with my left turn. However on a flashing yellow, you have watch for oncoming cars that have a green light.

I don’t know what this “can’t stop or enter an intersection” is. In Minnesota though the law was changed so that you are not allowed to complete your turn if you get trapped in the middle of the intersection and the light changes. You are supposed to anticipate if you can make the turn or not before proceeding. Seems stupid but that’s the law now. I’ve been in high traffic, winter weather situations where maybe one car or maybe two, can make it through the intersection before the light changes.
It’s called gridlock where no one can move.

Nice summary. The issue is that I believe you are mistaken. On a solid yellow arrow after a flashing yellow you have to watch for oncoming that have a yellow light. If the solid yellow follows a solid green, then you can go through as you said. It never used to be this way.

If there is an accident in this solid yellow arrow (following flashing yellow) situation it would mean that both vehicles went through a yellow and hit each other.

A flashing yellow left turn light precedes a green left turn arrow.
When there is a flashing yellow left turn arrow, on coming traffic has a green through light.

Odd law change in MN, took drivers Ed in Mpls in ‘66, no left turn arrows or left turn lanes back then. We were taught to pull into the intersection then make our turn when safe to do so. In FL, this is still the case, was addressed by law enforcement in the Orlando newspaper just last week.

1 Like

No, the issue is YOU, need to read your state’s drivers handbook and quit trying your incredibly ridiculous theories here. I hope you don’t live near me, because I think I may purposely plow into your halfway across the intersection a$$ and take all you insurance money.

4 Likes

I didn’t modify your statement, I merely removed verbiage before and after the specific portion that I was replying to.

Nothing has changed; your insistence on something being “traditionally” done one way in the past and being different now is only because you misunderstand the basis of the rules.

As a left-turning vehicle you are always required to yield to oncoming traffic unless you have a steady green arrow. There is not and never was a rule that oncoming traffic has to yield to traffic turning left in front of them during the concurrent solid yellow period.

6 Likes

Has Snowman been correct about anything since he started posting here ?

Me thinks the answer is No .

5 Likes

I think he needs to change his name to KNOW NOTHING. :confused:

3 Likes

I think the overriding principle here is that constant repetition of falsehoods does not magically convert them to truth or accuracy.

3 Likes

I’ll respond to you only since the others are just making stuff up at this point to try to derail the conversation. I believe this isn’t exactly the case, at least for the traffic lights that I’m referring to. The flashing yellow left turn arrow precedes a solid yellow arrow, which then may precede a solid green arrow. The 3 or 4 second solid yellow arrow that comes after the flashing yellow arrow is the issue.

With the solid yellow preceding a solid green makes it completely pointless to have the solid yellow in between the flashing yellow and the solid green. It should just continue to flash yellow.

These flashing. yellow left turn traffic signals have really improved traffic flow at a busy intersection just down the street from my residence.
Also, my city and county has installed roundabouts. These roundabouts really improved traffic flow.
At age 80, I know I have to keep up with the times if I am going to continue to drive. I started driving before there were interstate highways. The interstates made long distance travel easier. These newer left turn flashing yellow signals have, as I stated earlier, improved traffic flow on a route I often drive.
I do lament not having kept up with doing my own auto maintenance and repairs. My maintenance consists of checking the fluids under the hood and the air pressure in the tires. I don’t have a code reader. I gave away my ramps to elevate the car for oil changes. I have too many other things I like doing in the time I have left.

Here is what can happen when there is a flashing yellow arrow followed by a solid yellow. I can’t see the other side of the intersection so I don’t know what they had, but this is what can happen. I’m not just talking about the car that got hit, but more so the one in front that almost got hit while turning left on a solid yellow arrow. Left Turn Crash Caught On Dashcam - YouTube Even if this intersection is not equipped with flashing yellow arrows this exact situation is what can happen with them.

The light turned red before the collision, the two cars involved in the collision went through the red light. The type of caution light does not matter.

1 Like

Unfortunately, a lot of people nowadays seem to ignore red lights, or–as in an incident today near me–a tractor trailer was apparently going too fast on wet pavement to be able to stop a red light on US Route 1, and he T-boned a tow truck. The tow truck driver was killed, and the cops haven’t yet finalized the charges that they will file against the driver of the 18-wheeler.

In Chicago usually at least two cars will continue to enter the intersection and turn left after their arrow has turned red and the oncoming traffic light turning green. The new solid and flashing yellow light system will be quite a situation in Chicago if they decide to do it!

Both vehicles that crashed did not make it to the middle of the intersection before the light turned red. They’re really both at fault technically. The one in front made it to the middle of the intersection before the light turned red, so that driver should not be at fault if anything had happened.

You know I don’t remember the specifics, know many white knuckled drivers on the I, but have never had a problem driving in Chicago, other than marathons and concerts. Will be back by lincoln park next week Van Gogh thing, will note arrows. Trying to talk the group to go to Oven Grinders, not much support. Where I live at a 4 way stop every one is so kind we get into no you go first episodes.

Happened to see a solid green arrow go solid yellow to solid red, solid yellow was very short maybe 1 second. Just long enough for a driver in the intersection to complete their turn.