I blame the mechanic, he blames me!

I’m not really sure what the mechanic put on it I’ll have to ask him. I believe aftermarket new. I don’t think the problem was the axel but rather his installation job.

The cv axel is covered under a warranty because they are only 5 weeks old. They will be replaced tomorrow. But I don’t think I hit anything to cause this. Something inside the axel caused the damage

See @Tester comment above. If the splines weren’t inserted all the way in the hub, obviously the axle would be too compressed when driving and turning. Did the axle bolt come off? Was it a new one instead of the old one? Was it tightened to pull the spline all the way through the hub? I’ve only done a few but I read the directions. Certainly to me looks like a hack job.

1 Like

The appearance of the splines on the axle shaft is normal, the axle shaft is connected to the inner race of the CV joint. If the axle shaft passed though the hub you wouldn’t be able to steer, only go straight, there needs to be a joint at the hub.

It’s a pretty common here for folks buying half-shafts (cv axles) to be given the wrong part number at the parts store. There can be a half-dozen different part numbers to choose from for the same make/model/year of vehicle. Which ones fit your car depends on the transmission, possibly the engine, 2wd vs awd, among other factors and options. When I’ve installed front cv axles – I’m just a driveway diy’er, no expert — but once the splines start going into the hub, they’ve always gone in the whole way without further complaint. They just slip right into the center of the hub.

I’d be surprised if the splines would get stuck part way if the part number was correct. I’m guessing that the wrong part numbers for the axles got installed.

The OP presumably has driven this car for a long time without their driving damaging the original CV boots, so it seems unlikely the OP’s driving damaged both of the replacement in 5 weeks. OP , suggest to ask your shop to double and triple check the half-shaft part numbers before trying this again.

1 Like

I will do that, thank you guys

I was probably unclear. It’s been a few years but the outer joint has the splined shaft that goes through the hub. The other shaft goes between the two joints. The hub turns with the wheel as the outer joint allows. Then could have just been a faulty joint.

The splines on the axle shaft means that the outer CV joint is probably replaceable.

I installed a rebuilt axle and with practically zero miles and two years I saw a tear right on the top of the ridge. Could be a rodent snacked on the boot? Could be the whole thing is some form of soybean. There are boots and then there are boots. I have seen CV boots at the junkyard that looked like they were built for the Russian winter. Probably 2 mpg just to turn them.
You should put your efforts to acquiring best quality boots next time. In my opinion the boots we are getting are far from OEM.

I guess the question that we don’t know is if it is just the boot or the joint that ruined the boot. From my little experience though, the only time I’ve had a boot that destroyed was when the joint itself failed.

1 Like

from the looks of the CV axle on another side, mechanic was using brute force when putting them in

great they will replace it for OP under warranty, but I would go and review the result of their work right after getting car back… although I can imagine they will not beat it so badly the second time

In the first picture, what is that chewed up part in the upper left side? It looks chewed up as if it was against the boot/axle. Looks like a chunk of it on top of the boot as well. Those parts are missing from the second photo…

picture in post #5 seems to be from another side, it has signs of some blunt object pressing against the boot and making a tear

Somethings the boot will split without any problem with the CV joint. I had both outer boots on my VW Rabbit split at the same time, only about 3 years old. Oil got on them , the rubber deteriorated, and split. Please don’t ask how oil got on the boots … lol … The Rabbit’s replacement boots, lacking the oil treatment, were still in excellent condition 7 years after I installed them. I had to replace both outer boots on my now-27-year-old Corolla at the 12 year mark. I noticed last time I changed the oil the replacement boots are looking a little “iffy” too. The inner boots remain original to the car, and the rubber appears to still be in good condition.

Well I got the car back today and he put new axels on both sides so hopefully they hold up this time. I still don’t know what happened to the last pair.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was the joint that ruined the boot. The mechanic said the left side axel was worn down and I even saw metal shavings inside the boot

1 Like

Well . . . ?!

a recently described “forgot to put the drain plug on” would not explain that :slight_smile:

1 Like

To do that much damage from running over something would have done damage to the oil pan and transmission also.

Looks like the boot was made of the wrong material and was disintegrating.