Hurricane Irene: Any tips for minimizing damage to my car from her terrible ... something, something

cigroller, I guess you missed most of the hurricane near Charlottesville. But you got yours a few days ago when the earthquake hit. How far are you from Mineral? BTW, we lost power about 48 hours ago and don’t have it back yet. At least the weather is pleasant and we didn’t have any damage.

Indeed, jt. C’ville saw little of note. Luckily we never lost power although each time we do it helps me feel ok about the $$ spent on generator purchase & maintenance.

Earthquake-wise I am all of about 25 miles as the crow flies from Mineral. Being a lifetime east coaster and in this area for about 20 yrs it was quite a shocker since things like that just don’t happen around here. But in the end it was almost all boom with very little in terms of practical consequences. That’s obviously not true for everyone since some places did see damage so I don’t mean to minimize that. But damage was rather small & rare overall. Natural disaster it wasn’t. More like a hiccup.

I can say that it is funny, once you know what is going on, how quickly you get acclimated to the earth rumbling. For the original quake I got a little freaked out and sprinted outside to find out why someone was driving a truck across my roof. This was followed by rubbery knees, a few minutes in front of CNN, and then a thorough walk around of my house/property. Since then we’ve had a couple of aftershocks in the 4+ range on the scale, so they’re certainly noticeable. Now I just sort of casually glance up, note that it must be another aftershock, and then go back to sleep - or whatever I’m doing that passes for work.

Water probably won’t be your major concern.

MOST damage from hurricanes is water damage…NOT wind damage. Especially if you live in a coastal area.

“MOST damage from hurricanes is water damage…NOT wind damage.”

Especially if you live in Vermont.

I saw that damage…WOW…

We had just rain and some wind here in NH…But Vermont…had a lot more rain…PLUS the state is all mountains…and the towns are in the valley’s of the mountains. 10" of rain in the mountains equates to 10’ of water in the towns below.