HUGE sale on the 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage

It’s been rumored that they were pulling out of the U.S. market for a while now. They just discontinued their flagship Lancer Evo model. Keep in mind the U.S. isn’t Mitsubishi’s primary market, their offerings here have steadily grown more and more limited over the past decade.

The Mirage is a car that frankly doesn’t appeal to a huge number of people in the U.S., but they can sell it like hotcakes in someplace like India where standards for cars are noticeably lower than they are in other first world countries, and have an relatively new middle class.

I could be wrong, but I really don’t see Mitsubishi sticking it out in the U.S. market for too much longer. They’ll be gone before the decade’s out IMHO.

If they do leave the United States market I think they are required to have some kind of parts supply for 10 years.

@cwatkin

Thanks for posting that link . . . I enlarged the interior view picture and saw the auto button on the hvac control head

Yeah, that’s a pretty nice feature to have

“These have the highest loyalty rating in the subcompact category so they must be doing something right.”

What organization determined that?

A good discussion of the Jatco 2-spd CVT:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/656-Information-about-the-Mirage-CVT-(Jatco-CVT7-JF015E)-operation-video-diagrams

Say again that the 70’s fashions will be coming back. I’ve still got a leisure suit hanging in the closet all set to go. At least I think I do unless the wife threw it out. Naw she wouldn’t do that would she? Without telling me? I better go check.

On the car, I’m happy you’re happy, and to have two people that like the same car and get two of them the same except for color, what can I say? Plus a manual transmission makes it even rarer. Not for me though.

Here are some stories about the owner loyalty.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/0cf9eb9b-785e-41fa-be60-7c5c0215df6d?la=1

I believe you are correct about parts availability if they leave the US market. They have to have factory parts for a certain period and then the aftermarkets will kick in.

I read several articles and it seems there are very mixed opinions if they will stay or go. On one hand, they closed their main US plant. On the other hand, they are bringing the redesigned Outlander into the US which is their best selling car/SUV. Sales numbers are increasing and are up 50% overall since 2013 although they still make up less than 1% of the US market.

Others have said that you don’t leave the US market easily. This is still the biggest auto market and you don’t abandon that easily. It looks like they once sold quite a few more cars here. I am sure that partnership with Chrysler really hurt them with the reliability ratings of those.

The dealership this car came from is a funny place. It salls VW, Porsche, and Mitsubishi. Basically the cheapest car on the market is in the same building as a $140,000 Porsche! I like the place though as it was easy going and low-pressure, unlike the typical car dealership where they play mind games. It is Springfield Imports in Springfield, MO. If you want one of these cars, I would suggest this location.

Apparently even the company didn’t know if these would sell here. http://wardsauto.com/industry/mirage-success-surprising-even-mitsubishi

I guess once they saw that there was a market, they decided it was worth redesigning the 2017 model year with more features that US buyers will want such as the better handling/braking as well as the slight power improvement, which in a car this small, might fell like quite a lot.

The one thing I notice about the article is that people are not disappointed in the amount of power offered in these cars. No, it isn’t a Corvette but it is very adequate and has no problems keeping up on hills, etc. I found myself climbing some pretty large hills today and had no issues maintaining the speed limit in 5th gear. The “eco/econ” light didn’t even turn off which happens when the engine is being lugged or during heavy acceleration. I could tell that I wasn’t pressing the pedal much and had plenty left if it was needed.

I suggest that the haters out there take one of these for a test drive and see how it really drives. I suggest they take a Plasma Purple (http://www.iveho.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/2014-Mitsubishi-Mirage-front.jpg) or Kiwi Green (http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1355869245/331/8098331.jpg) Mirage on their test drive for maximum impact.

Why do the people who drive them and own them review them well while others rip them? These types of reviews seem common. The reviews are either very good or terrible. This is strange but typical with this car. http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/mirage/2015/review/

They are also introducing a sedan model of these in the 2017 year called the Mirage G4. I personally don’t like this near as well as the hatch but they have sold well elsewhere. I think small cars like this are best as hatchbacks but that is just my opinion. They also did the same thing with the Geo/Chevy Metro in later years.

If Mitsubishi were to go away in the US market but the car continued to sell well, they might continue to sell it under another name such as the “Dodge Attitude” as it is known in Mexico. I didn’t realize that Mitsubishi and Chrysler still had any connection but apparently they do.

As far as the Outlander goes, I read an article stating it would be a very good vehicle . . . if it was on sale several years ago and not now

In other words, it’s not competitive

Well it appears a new generation Outlander is being introduced for 2016 so maybe that is a change for the better. I wasn’t interested in this but my GF thought it looked “cute” on the car lot.

“Well it appears a new generation Outlander is being introduced for 2016 so maybe that is a change for the better.”

No, it isn’t a “new generation” Outlander. It is just a mildly-restyled, slightly-tweaked version of the old one, and it is simply outdated in comparison with all of its competition.

I see. This seems to be a good seller for them still. I wasn’t interested so haven’t researched it one bit.

I do know that the huge sale is only on the Mirage which is also become a good seller for them. I really think they would somehow rebrand this car and continue selling it in the US if the other models went away.

Good luck with your new car. I read somewhere that there sales are up and they have made some changes going forward.

Their investment in the 2017 Mirage may be an effort to stick it out in the USA. It does stem the reduction in models offered.

It’s difficult to go wrong on 10 grand for a new car of any make.

That is pretty much what I thought. I hope they stay in the US market but a new car for 10 grand is hard to pass up. They have been very generous with the warranty coverage unlike GM and some of the others. There haven’t been a lot of problems with these cars but there were a couple situations where the consumer was as much at fault, if not more, for continuing to drive the car with something wrong and this caused more damage. I am sure this is to keep customers happy and coming back. Yes, they made some changes to appeal to the US market with this car. It seems that they are selling well for the time being.

I don’t know anything about the Outlander but it came up in one of the most recent Car Talk columns (see the front page). It wasn’t listed as a bad SUV/CUV except for the concern about Mitsubishi leaving the US.

The biggest change to the car in the 2017 model year is the addition of the sedan model. Most consumers prefer this over a hatchback although I am the other way around. It seems that a simple cheap car like this should be a hatchback if you ask me. They did this with the Geo/Chevy Metro in later years and sold more of them in that configuration than the hatch. Again, this is a sign they are trying to make this car work in the US market.

The Outlander always gets decent reviews and safety ratings. I would consider it if it didn’t have the CVT.
As much as Mitsubishi gets a bad rep in US, in the middle east it used to be a go to brand (not sure if it has changed now). The Galant would compete with the Accord. We used a Pajero (Montero in US) for our emergency response in a very rural area. It had over 400K miles on the original engine and clutch.

My favorite '70’s colors are “Baby Poop Orange” and “Monkey Vomit Green” :smiley:

@cwatkin quote, " Why would they bother taking this to all the auto shows if they were about to pull out? " Well. . . I went to the auto show when it came around my way recently and Mitsubishi didn’t even have any presence at all there. (This was the Motor Trend International Auto Show) I know, because I looked for it, because I had read your previous post about the Mirage and I wanted to see it up close. :frowning: On the other hand, they have been advertising the Outlander quite a bit on the television, at least around here.

I looked at the Outlander briefly because I read that the top trim level had a 3500 pound towing capacity , then I found out that trim level requires “premium” fuel - deal breaker-

Note, the above is PART of a post I intended to post yesterday, then most of it disappeared right before I was going to click on “post comment” so I got disgusted and went to bed instead.

“I suggest that the haters out there take one of these for a test drive and see how it really drives.” @cwatkin , I HAVE ACCEPTED YOUR CHALLENGE!!! :smile:

Let’s see, I’ll try to keep this brief because its late and I’m tired so I’ll spare the off-topic chitchat; but I actually went to a dealer after work with a co-worker who became interested in the car after I told him about this “deal”. As @ok4450 stated so concisely, "It’s difficult to go wrong on 10 grand for a new car of any make. "

So the salesman actually let me & my co-worker take the car out together without the salesman, and we took turns driving around basically a big loop.

So the long and short of it, I don’t see what all the pooh-poohing is all about. It is what it is, bare-bones basic transportation. As my co-worker said, if you want that 40 - 44 mpg, you’re going to have to make trade-offs. 74hp 3 cyl engine.

Of course they didn’t have any manuals on hand, so we test drove the CVT. I see what all of you are talking about. You press the gas, the engine RPM’s go way up, then the car surges forward, giving one the sense of ‘slippage’. I agree with all the seasoned veterans here, I believe a manual trans is just going to be more hardy, and I have proof positive in my current car that I can get 200+k miles out of a clutch.

My co-worker wanted no parts of a manual transmission. I told him, hey you go to a deserted parking lot early on a Sunday morning to practice, in a week or two you’ll hardly even notice what your arm and leg are doing, but you all know how people are these days.

The ‘Plasma Purple’ is much more pastel in person than it looks in the picture. My co-worker immediately commented on how effeminate the color was, and I thought to myself, “Heeeeyyy, maybe I could score a better price on it because nobody wants an effeminate color. I’m secure enough in my masculinity it wouldn’t bother me. I like to be quirky i.e. eccentric i.e. bat-s**t crazy” but no luck anyway. The salesman said the 'Plasma Purple" sells like hotcakes and there are no more around with manual trans. :frowning:

So ANYway, long and short of it is, we each got an “on the road and out the door” price quote. (As I said, they didn’t have any manual transmissions in stock, but the salesman said he can “get one” from another dealer). Problem I had is, to get the color blue, I’d have to get the ES instead of the DE, which comes with alloy wheels, fog lights, push-button start, bluetooth on the steering wheel, none of which I need. My co-worker got a price $50 less than I did for the DE with the CVT transmission. (AND he gets choice of any color except green).

Like I said on my “curmudgeon” thread, sometimes it hardly seems worth the effort to get a manual transmission, but I do believe it’ll be hardier than a CVT, and I base that mostly on my short test drive and all of the input from all of you seasoned veterans here on the Cartalk Bulletin Boards.

So I can get a DE with the 5-speed manual for $600 less, which knocks the “on the road” price under $11,000, BUT, I can only get it in White, Black, or, possibly, Gray. It comes down to priorities I suppose. When you’re buying a car off the clearance rack you can’t be so choosy about color, transmission, options, etc. Maybe, just maybe, I could chisel off a few hundred more. . . some of the cars were sitting under a power line and thus had some bird droppings on them, which the salesman said don’t worry, we have a guy who details the cars before they go off the lot, and I said, hey, knock off another $200 and I’ll take it with the bird poop.

I’m kinda miffed, there’s a $1,000 owner loyalty rebate I of course don’t qualify for. . . well, gee, how about a new owner loyalty rebate, give me the $1,000 off and I’ll buy your car instead of the Honda Fit, hey!

But man, I gotta tell ya, I’m teetering on buying one of these. I think the Mirage is safer by a country mile than a 1993 Festiva, with all the airbags, knee airbags, stability control, anti-lock brakes, heck, I drove my Festiva for 20+ years without getting killed. Maybe the salesman will call me back tomorrow with a lower price? Ya never know, bird in the hand and all that, ya know? And, all the brake lines, tires, sensors, computer boards, brand new, brand new not all rotted out and worn down to nubs like my old car. . . . (heck, in my situation, just being to roll down the interstate at 70 mph and not have to wonder if a wheel is about to fall off is a BIG improvement in safety. . . )

Brand new car, in 2016, for under $11,000 on-the-road. Hard to believe. Versus say $19,000 est. for a new Honda Fit. Take that $8,000 savings and invest it in the Dividend Aristocrat or Dividend King stock of your choice and see what you have to show for it in 10, 15, or 20 years.

The only significant drawback I can see is if one buys the Mirage, one would have to keep it for probably 10 years to realize the savings; in other words, if you buy one and a year from now decide you want to upgrade, you’re not going to get much on a trade in, because even though its a brand new car, technically speaking its already a year, almost two years old.

Well, at least I kept my post brief, huh? (sarcasm). :wink:

Seriously, thank you @cwatkin for posting this thread. You don’t know how close I am to buying one of these right now. IF that dealer had had a blue one with a manual transmission in the DE trim, I probably would have already signed the paperwork. :smiley:

Edit to add, I told the salesman that your post sent me @cwatkin , but seeing as how I’m about 800 miles away from Missouri, I doubt if you’re going to get a ‘finders fee’.

Apparently the ES has backup camera as standard and I would not want to do without one now that I have one. As for the manual shift requirement, having had rotator cuff surgery and a knee replacement that did go well our daily driver will be automatic. And ED I hope the salesman explained that climate control is not just a fancy name for air conditioning but a really nice feature .