How to protect car headlamp from the sun?

Well…what was it, do tell!! And how can anyone definitively determine the exact cause :question: Enquiring minds want to know.

2 Likes

Exposure to ultraviolet light, has this been a secret? Garage kept vehicle do not have this problem.

If UV light is the sole cause, how can you explain the pristine-looking lenses on my friend’s Rav–which was always parked outside–even after 12 years?

Your friend parked his vehicle in New Jersey.

Re: Path of sun in the sky

The sun does in fact rise somewhat north of due east in the summer in the USA/Canada. Here’s the chart for The Netherlands, located about 52 deg N latitude (corresponds to a little north of Vancouver, Canada). Even that far north, on its most northerly day, June 21, the sun rises just 40 deg north of due east. Not even halfway to north.

If you ever wondered why the sun makes it hard to drive Mid-March & Mid-Sept, the same chart shows why. E-W roads line up directly with the Sun at sunrise and sunset.

If simply parking his car in NJ was the explanation, then why do many other cars in the state have badly-fogged lenses?
:thinking:

1 Like

The path of the sun for Dallas, Texas.

My wife’s 2013 Highlander. It’s always garaged (when she’s home, of course). It’s starting to haze. Regardless of the path of the sun, what’s the consensus on the solution? 3M kit? I’ve read somewhere that once you use a restoration kit, you have to be pretty vigilant about retreating them, or they return to their former state or worse. What’s the scoop?

The headlights on my 2005 Sierra were so hazy and yellow, I just bought aftermarket replacements for about 100 bucks. So far, so good a couple of years later.

1 Like

I think that using a good quality wax and replacing it at least twice per year will help. UV light won’t penetrate very far and most of it will be absorbed by the wax. Also, don’t park facing south if you can avoid it.

2 Likes

HID bulbs don’t make heat?

I’ve had good results with this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429NKWK

1 Like

Not on the side of the headlight.

The heat spreads throughout the housing by convection

I use the 3M system. The results are a crystal clear finish. But I think you’re right. I’ve noticed that after 3 or 4 years they need redone. I’m assuming that even though they are clear, there must be some fault in the finish causing them to haze easier. A friend at work told me I should use the pictured product. I’ve never tried it, but he said it prolonged the life of the repair. All I can attest to is the good results from the restoration system.

2 Likes

I like the idea of using two 3M products, they should be compatible.

PVC paint film. 3M has a product called VViViD. Weathertech sells it cut to fit the headlights of certain models. Started using it about 3 years ago when newly restored headlights started fogging again. Has worked well so far and much better than my experience with 3M’s clear coat product.

I would just find a good wax that has UV protection  in it and lay a couple coats of it  on it every 6 months  .  Thats all I do  and have a veicle that is a 2008 and its lights are still pretty clear .  If you live in somewhere like Arizona or florida then you might want to do it more often .   It doesnt take very long so it isnt a big deal .   That being said  if  you live in a hot sunny area dont ignore the paint either  or you'll have the clearcoat peeling off that too .  That needs to be protected too .   That is a bigger job so allocate some time to do it .

My last car was a 1999 Monte Carlo. After quite a few years it had the clouded HL lens. It did try some kits, sanding and fluids. It never looked much better and deteriorated pretty quick.

Then I checked Ebay and found I could get new headlight shells for $60 a piece! Bought a left and right and I was done! Now, Chevy sold millions of those Monte Carlos and Luminas so the aftermarket replacements were cheap. I don’t know about other cars.