How to find out thread spec

I thought extensions don’t affect torque. It says in he manual that they can be used fine and in some videos to. Now u joint socket that’s another story.

Torque is not affected by an extention, despite popular believes. The torque is measured at the head. How it gets there is irrelevant.

1 Like

It depends on how you do it. The way I torque spark plugs on my truck is to take my bathroom scales out to the garage, and press on it 'til it registers the number of foot pounds I want. Then – just by feel – I apply that same pressure to the end of a one foot long ratchet handle. So in that case it depends on the length of the ratchet handle. I do it that way b/c my torque wrench is too long for tightening spark plugs. You are right that just adding extensions to enable you to reach the bolt head while using your torque wrench wouldn’t affect it. If you use certain other adapters however it could, like crows foot adapters you usually have to make a torque correction.

Only you, George . . .

You’re inventive, I’ll give you that :thumbsup:

3 Likes

I expect diy’ers use tricks pro’s never have, simply b/c it is too time consuming for pro’s to do it that way. More $$-wise to just have the correct tools on hand for a pro who earns money per job done.

1 Like

Here’s a link to the kind of thread gages I like.
http://www.rockler.com/thread-detective-thread-gauges-metric

For torque, I’d simply get a different torque wrench. A click-stop should be much shorter than a beam-type. Used carefully, torque-sticks might even be the answer.

I can tell you that you cannot compensate for a crow’s foot. The torque applied to the part will constantly and dramatically change as the angles between the rotating axis of the torque wrench, the rotating axis of the part being tightened, and the angle of the torque wrench handle change.

I gotta say though I’d be very concerned if I saw a mechanic taking a bathroom scale out to my car.

2 Likes

No . . . in the absence of a torque wrench, I install spark plugs by feel

And that’s quite common, even among other professional mechanics

This one’s for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like