How to catch someone letting air out of your tires

Ok… the glue, tar could mess a good looking wheel… Here is what I would do… get black plastic caps… get 4 thumb tac… using a hard surface push the tac in the center of cap from the top to put a hole in it… then grind down the tac so that it barely fix in the cap(P.S. DO NOT GRIND DOWN TO SMALL COULD LET YOUR AIR OUT) Just enough to fit in cap not the in valve stem… Put the cap on you have sharp tac thru the cap hard to be seen… Could catch the person if it bring blood or fresh bandage

Ok I am having the same issue. Some let’s the air out of my tire. Same tire every Friday night, or just at sunrise. This is what I did. I got a DVR and a wireless camera in my back window. I got the person on video. Our city jailed this person for 30 days. Charged them with Crimal mischief. They had to pay, a fine, court cost and restitution. Because I spent money and buying a new tire because I believed it was bad.

2 Likes

Please note that you answered an 8 year old post.The OP probably found the culprits by now.

1 Like

OH ok didn’t know this sorry

That’s OK. In the future, look in the top right of the post. There will be a date or if the post is recent, the number of minutes or hours that have passed since the post was made. Keep coming back and enjoy the site as much as we do.

Ok Thanks!

Even though the original post was (very) old, you did show a way to solve the problem and you did show that there was a criminal violation.

And it feels good that some jerk got a deserved punishment.

Thanks.

1 Like

Oh boy 8 years??? At any rate those game cameras are pretty cheap actually and are motion activated and rugged if you have a place to mount them. Also those sticky mouse pads are pretty cheap and if you put a couple in front of the tires at night, when whoever kneels down to let the air out, they’ll get stuck but good and hard to get off-just for the fun of it. Of course you might catch a poor cat or dog in the process so pay up your liability insurance.

Good for you @Barrymoore for coming up w/such a clever solution. The perp will think twice before trying such a thing to you or somebody else again.

This reminds me of the time I had somebody stealing my newspaper from my driveway nearly every morning. How I solved that was put half a dozen old newspapers out on the driveway each night, so finding the current day paper was harder for the thief than just stealing a newspaper from somebody else’s driveway.

Why do these resurrected posts keep showing up in my new column?

I think this one was resurrected by a now-deleted spam comment.

I’ve never done it, but if you do, you only do it once and catch them by surprise. You don’t keep going back after they’ve tooled up to catch you. Of course these days with cameras everywhere, even once might be too many unless full black unidentifiable coveralls and full face mask. Don’t wear anything that has your name printed on it or like “Joe’s Garage” on the back. Did I miss the point here without reading the whole 8 year deal?

I dunno, maybe if there isn’t enough new traffic, just recycle the old stuff so we can welcome them to the interscreen as Taryle fixes all would say.

its been happening to me [all 4 tyres had let half the air out ] i actually ended up having steering work done as my car handled so bad even after id checked the tyres.Little did i know the culprit was letting air out regularly. Ive now got a tiny white paint dot on the dust cap and another dot lined up on the valve stem itself so i can see if the caps been disturbed. Its very worrying realizing cars been tampered with i mean who is it? and what next?

Are you sure someone is letting the air out and then replacing the valve caps on the stems?

It’s not unheard of to lose half of your pressure when the weather starts to cool down, particularly if you don’t regularly check your tire pressure. Between normal attrition and a drop in temperature, I could see it happening without anyone tampering with your tires.

Someone was letting air out of tires of a co-worker at a place I use to work at. He thought it was funny until he got fired for it.

4 Likes

if it was just 1 or 2 tyres then id say it could be that. But all 4 ? iv been checking the pressures weekly ever since this first happened [few months ago] the pressures were all ok each time non needed any air . Then one day i set off driving as per usual and whoa im all over the place . 2 of the tyres [rears] were new in March and 2 on front a lot older. When i checked them after realizing something is wrong all are approx half of what they should be[,but look ok at a glance ,dont look flat

I’d expect it to happen to all four if it wasn’t tampering. Attrition and temperature change affect all four tires equally.

I’d expect all 4 due to temp change also. But I wouldn’t expect a drop in pressure of 50%…?

1 Like

I agree. In order to halve the pressure, the temperature would have to be cut in half. This is absolute temperature, not Fahrenheit or Celsius.

This may seem a bit extreme but about 20 or so years ago I was certain someone was prowling around my house at night. I had heard things a few times but could never catch them.

So one evening I took a couple of pieces of 1/2" plywood about a foot square each and peppered them with 3/4" roofing nails. They were placed around the back of my house near the bedroom.

A couple of nights later my wife and I were awakened by the sound of someone screaming. It also woke my neighbor up and his house is not that close to mine.

Next morning I found one of the spiked pieces of plywood with blood all over it. That cured the prowling around at night problem.Crude I admit but it was effective.

4 Likes