How to calculate drained fluid

Ok whatever. Someones asks for tips not to do a god damn mess in his parent’s garage and is labelled as should not work on cars. What the hell is this community. This is the first time I’m doing this you have no respect damn.

People are as course as they want, the moderator only comes around once a week.

For oil changes that spill onto the sub-frame I use cut sections cut from coolant bottles. You can use a piece of cardboard to channel the coolant to the drain pan.

I’ve just used an oil drain pan myself but need to be a little more careful now since it can be bad for animals if its spilled.

I hate to send you to the store again but you can go to Walmart and pick up one of those shallow Rubbermaid containers for about $8 in the housewares section. Can’t remember how many quarts but they have different sizes. Get the lower one so it fits under the car. I used them for a sand and water table play station for the grand kids.

1 Like

If you go above 65% ethylene glycol, the freezing point actually starts to go up again.

Another reason to avoid the higher percentages of antifreeze is that ethylene glycol has a lower heat capacity than water. It takes one BTU of heat to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree F. (in fact that’s the definition of a BTU of heat) It only takes about 0.6 BTU of heat to raise the temperature of one pound of pure antifreeze by one degree F. That means the coolant flow has to be faster in order to keep the engine cool.
That 50/50 mixture is a good trade off between adequate freeze protection and a decent heat capacity.

Wow. Seems like manufacturers just want to make it more impossible for DIY home mechanics like myself to work on their vehicles. I can’t even imagine trying to do regular maintenance on a new vehicle nowadays. It seems like they just want you to change the oil, drive it to a 100K and trade it in rather than changing fluids periodically and doing a tune up early to keep it to 200K.