How tight should the screws/nuts be on wheels

They’re printed (etched) on the sides of the sticks. Double click on the image and you’ll see the values clearly.

Yeah, could be.

Look and you’ll see it’s so.

Force is a vector. Torque is a rotational moment.

Totally unrelated, but I was trying to remember where I had read recently about something else w/engine design going up as /the square . Found the link, below. Sort of an interesting article. Apparently you can buy valve retainers for $50 all the way to $1200 depending on what forces you are battling.

“Dynamic forces seen at the valve increase with the square of the rpm”

Back to the original question. The suggested torque does vary a bit from vehicle to vehicle, but the exact torque is not all that critical. They must be tight enough so they won’t come loose and the heat will transfer uniformly from the hub to the wheel for cooling. That heat transfer needs to be uniform so it is important that they all be torqued to the same value. As noted by many, too tight can break the lugs or be impossible to remove with car kit tools.

Typically this is somewhere around 90 ft-lbs, or 80 ft-lbs if you put grease on the threads as I do.

I wasn’t wrong, I just had “alternate facts”.

4 Likes

I tighten our wheels in stages, typically to 40, 60, 80 and then the final torque, 90 or 100 ft-lbs, depending on what the owner’s manual specifies; one of ours is done at 80 as I seem to recall. With four lug wheels, do the torques in an alternating pattern. With 5 lug wheels, do every other lugnut until 5 are reached. Torquing in stages has greatly reduced brake pulsation that our oldest car had developed. I like to hear a series of loud creaking sounds when each lugnut is tightened, That sounds good, like what Loctite will do.

1 Like

I dont think those tire places torque them they just use an impact gun and put them on so tight that you cant get them off without using an impact gun.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that’s far more common than it should be. Beadbusters often are minimally… very minimally… trained, and too many probably don’t even know what “torque” is.

For the record, I like TT’s “torque stick” idea for trunk tools. It’s a simple solution, and 80 ft-lbs is really not significantly different than 78 ft-lbs in lug nut application. Lug studs aren’t that delicate.