How Many Others Do It?

Mattock or mad axe. I’d always heard it called the latter. I suspect it’s a colloquialism, or just pure slang. Google images turns up the same tool for both terms, at least in part.

To keep this automotive, my exposure to swinging a mad axe came when I worked for the state’s department of transportation as a summer job during college. We helped to build highways. Autos use highways. How’s that?

Don’t you know there has been a frenzy of “on the road” emissions testing aimed at uncovering any more emissions cheaters. If they had found any I’m sure we would have heard about it by now…Could it be Volkswagen was alone in this?

Don't you know there has been a frenzy of "on the road" emissions testing aimed at uncovering any more emissions cheaters. If they had found any I'm sure we would have heard about it by now..Could it be Volkswagen was alone in this?

It was a fluke they caught them in the first place. The group doing the testing wasn’t looking to catch a cheater…they just happened upon when they were discrepancies in their readings. The EPA might now be doing more testing…especially with Diesel vehicles.

I fully expect others somewhere to be equally devious or sloppy. Expect testing to become more real world like in the future.

Motor Trend now uses this contraption to measure MPG:

How hard would it be to add CO/HC/NOx measurement?

It has been my belief that the mileage ratings are generally useful for comparison purposes only and not to determine the exact mileage that a certain model will attain. So for me I really don’t have much interest in exacting mileage calculations.