How do you ask carpool drivers of your kids not to talk on the phone while driving?

If the regulation passes…the cell towers aren’t going to know which cell-phone belongs to who. The equipment that controls cell services must apply the same to ALL phones.

Besides the politics of it…the biggest factor is companies like mine that actually design and build the telecom equipment. It’s a huge deal for us to make this type of change. I guess the govt can force us to…it’s NOT going to be easy…or cheap.

I would tell the parents that the kids have told you some drivers are not using hands free devices, and asked me if it was right or wrong. Tell the other parents to get legal as a good role model since the kids will be driving in a few years and we dont want them getting tickets.

Jenkinskg don’t you mean we don’t want them getting hurt?

If you’re talking about a formal carpool, same kids/parents/activity on a regular schedule, I’d get all the parents together for coffee or whatever, even by email, and discuss all the expectations. Blow the horn at pickup or send someone to the door? Does driver take kids for something to eat before/after? Carpooling TO games but not home (all parents go to games, not practices)? Then mix in the cell phone thing. A car full of kids is distraction enough.

What about drinking? Your kids sound young, I’ve got 4, two teenagers and two in college…it was not uncommon, especially at games or all day tournaments, for parents to do some tailgating. One group of hockey dads used to hit a sports bar duing practices. It happens…you should think about this too.

In my opinion, just tell them. You are in the right, not them. If they break the law. Good luck!

Since I have never yet overheard a cell phone conversation that was important, ie: what do you want for dinner? Did you SEE what Jean was wearing? I’m going to town, where are you? I’d tell the people that were carpooling that cell phone use while driving is strictly forbidden and if they have a problem with that get rid of them. Honestly, cell phones should be banned in a car unless that car was just involved in an accident and you’re calling 911!

I would ask your kids to tell you if any of the other drivers talk or text. (Don’t assume they noticed before you ask, parent-chauffers are invisible you know.)

How do you feel about a little white lie? Approach the other drivers – schedule something if you don’t see them socially, a pickup/dropoff isn’t the best time to have a serious conversation. Tell them one of your kids saw a couple of pretty graphic commercials about the dangers of distracted driving, and was terrified. You’ve given them permission to ask any grown up to pull over and use that phone to call you to pick him/her up. (If you haven’t, think about it.) Of course, you’re not saying they (the other drivers) would do that in front of the kids, but you wanted to let them know. Just to be fair.
… it’s not a big lie, and the other parent might be more receptive to helping deal with a child’s fears than yours. Their kid might be next, after all.

I wouldn’t ask them not to use their phones. I would TELL them not to. After the inevitable accident, it’s too late for tact and diplomacy.

Why struggle with this? Would you prefer to have injured kids or stupid car sharing friends? Yes, this reply was crude but nasty stuff really does happen. Stick around long enough and you will indubitably get your turn in the fun house barrel.

PS, someone once said that driving with kids in the car is equivalent to driving with .06% BAC. There is no need to make that worse with a cell phone.

What I do is scare the crap out of them. With working in the fire department as a volunteer I brought out a black body bag, unzipped it and said do you know what this is? They looked at me like they saw a ghost. I went on " You drive drunk, drive under the influence of drugs, or any phone device this is where you will end up. Do you want your friends, parents, and others to be horrified the rest of your life? Do you want to kill other innocent bystanders? If there is one thing to remember don’t Become a statistic."

I think that did it, never had an issue yet. My Dad would be proud of what I did to teach responsibility to them.