How do I best add air to my tire?

If you check your tire pressure once a month, you’ll be doing better than most people. I try to check mine once a week, but sometimes I’m too busy.

The point about cold tire pressure is that you should check the tire pressure when the car hasn’t been driven, because driving makes the tires heat up. You’ll notice that when the temperature drops, so does your tire pressure, but you should always inflate the tires to the same PSI value, the value on the sticker on the door frame.

Please stop manspalining. You’re not being helpful.

2 Likes

Mostly I do it that way is I have not owned a car for many years & when I replace my truck tire’s I go for higher ply tires than oem tires.

1 Like

Not true!

My Honda calls for 32 PSI in the front, and 29 PSI in the rear.

Tester

2 Likes

Please don’t “listen” to this nonsense. It’s dangerous. Other people here has given You good advice.
If You go by this statement - at best, You’ll be wearing the tires out prematurely. At worst, You’ll kill somebody 'cause the car do not handle as it is supposed to and able to in an emergency situation with the correct pressure.

6 Likes

Yes, my Honda calls for 30 PSI in the front, and 29 PSI in the back, but regardless of the ambient temperature, I always inflate the front tires to 30 PSI and the back tires to 29 PSI. :slight_smile:

@VOLVO_V70 - if @kobowden93 knew the things you’re faulting her for, she wouldn’t have to post here. And if she didn’t ask the question and somewhere down the line came here once there’d been a real problem, something tells me you’d ask her why she didn’t check her air at all. I know if the day ever comes I own a car and have to maintain it, I’d have to ask for help like this. We should reward people who want to learn how to do the right thing.

7 Likes

The reason your dad popped your bicycle tire is because the air pumps at gas stations are high volume pumps; they pump lots of air very fast, and your bicycle tire has little volume. It overfills too quickly with a gas station pump.

Your car’s tires have far more volume. The pressure will go up far, far more slowly than your bicycle tire, easily slowly enough for you to set the pressure to the correct setting. Most even have a gage built into them. They’re specifically designed for car tires.

I urge you to give it a try. Once you do, you’ll be able to adjust your tires with confidence.

A tip of the hat to you for checking your tires. And also for using your door jam pressures. I recommend starting with 30 psi and adjusting to taste, never filling above the tire’s max molded into the sidewall. My car is FWD, about a 60:40 weight distribution, and I keep mine at 32psi front and 29 rear, just like my doorjam suggests.

1 Like

Who taught you to do it that way . . . ?!

These gauges are often inaccurate though, so using your own dial-type gauge is preferred.

2 Likes

If you have a garage . . . and are interested in taking a hands-on approach to maintaining your car . . . I’d advise you to buy a pancake air compressor, hose and a decent tire inflator gauge

It wouldn’t take up much space in your garage

And then you could check and correct your tire pressures first thing in the morning, every 1 or 2 weeks

Not to mention, you could store other car related stuff in the garage, such as engine oil, coolant, washer fluid, tools, etc.

1 Like

No, that number is the MAX safe pressure, not the specified pressure.

The correct pressure is listed on the car body, typically in the door jamb.

4 Likes

There are a couple of mechanics at work, who don’t even bother looking at the door jamb stickers

Whatever the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall, that’s what the inflate every single tire to, no exceptions

Every time I do a service, one of the first things I check is the tires, before I even do my road test. If they’re grossly overinflated . . . much higher than the pressures listed on the doorjamb sticker, to be exact . . . I head to the computer to check who worked on it last time

It’s always the same guys, and I’ve given up trying to nicely suggest to look at the door jamb stickers, instead of the sidewall. In one ear, out the other . . . they don’t want to hear it. Same thing, they say somebody told them to do it that way, so that’s the way they’ve always done it, and that’s the way they’ll continue to do it, until they retire and/or die

1 Like

yes. The last new car I bought, it came with the tires set to 45 PSI !!

And I didn’t think to check them until a long trip later, when the TPMS light came on, on a day when the temp was over 90º. Yes the TPMS checks for high as well as low.

(TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitor System)

Ha ha :laughing:

Sounds like the tires still had “factory air”

In other words, the guy doing the pre-delivery inspection . . . if one was even performed, or performed by the correct person, for that matter . . . didn’t bother to check the tire inflation pressure. Maybe he just eyeballed them and deemed them to be acceptable

Our tire shop is very good at installing tires quickly, but they’re not so good at setting the pressures correctly

Just the other day, I was working on a vehicle with the yellow tpms warning light on. Sure enough, the tire shop had just slapped 4 new tires on. They were all grossly inflated, by about 30psi . . . :fearful:

Once correcting the tire pressures, that light turned off and stayed off

1 Like

The person who taught me that way was an old truck driver

Well, that puts things in perspective, but it doesn’t necessarily mean it was correct

We have many class 7 and 8 trucks in our fleet

They typically have 11Rx22.5 tires, a very common size with which your old truck driver acquaintance was probably familiar

The door jamb sticker on those vehicles often listed a specified inflation pressure which was identical to, or nearly the same, as the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall

For example, the maximum allowable tire pressures on the sidewall often reads 120psi

A vehicle might list 120psi as the specified pressure for the front axle and 105psi as the specified pressure for the rear axle(s)

However, I’ve also seen vehicles which use that same tire size which only call for about 75psi front and rear, so inflating to 120psi would be overinflating . . . for the application, not necessarily for the tire itself

As stated before, a particular tire size might be used on many different types of vehicles

Can we assume that you are going to do it the proper way now.

3 Likes

Yes I never been told that I have a lot of smart’s that is why I like this forum I get an education every day from the experts’ here.

3 Likes

Are they aware that in the event of a blowout and subsequent accident resulting in serious injury they could be exposing your company to serious legal/financial liability?

1 Like