How concerned should I be over 2004 Camry throttle body failure defect?

1. is the price what you would be willing to pay
    I get the impression you’re responding to my suggestion to check local values before spending the money so naturally I am curious what other criteria someone might use instead of that. Are you saying that if there were two nearly identical cars to choose from and one was $500 less, you would not factor that into your purchase? Maybe if it was a $30k vehicle but $500 represents a substantial percentage of the purchase price here…

no matter how much you pay someone in you family or at work will say you paid to much
This is absolutely true.

“I see nothing but expensive problems here from posters complaining about their automatic transmissions.”

I can’t speak for anyone else, but over a period of 43 years, I have never experienced transmission failure on any of my cars that had an automatic transmission. That included a Dodge Charger, a Volvo 240, a Taurus, an Accord, and 3 Subaru Outbacks.

Perhaps what made the difference is that I maintained the transmissions with fluid changes every 30k miles, as opposed to almost all of the people who report transmission problems, and who have never had their transmissions serviced.

I am with VDC on this one. I like manual transmissions for the fun of it, but never had an automatic fail on me so far. Even the Caravan we had, which is notorious for failing transmission, went to 175K miles with no hiccup. Just had to change the fluid and filter regularly with the specified ATF.

I live in Southern CA with a lot of traffic and long commutes. My wife has zero interest in shifting gears while driving esp when she had the kids with her. We need to be able to swap cars frequently depending on what we are up to. So we have resorted to two automatic cars for now. Such is marriage compromise.