HONEY? im dying for help

keith im hoping it didnt get a chance to gum up or crystalize which is what i was told would happen once it gor in the engine and cooled down the chevy dealer thats out of state siad if the car wouldnt start that was not a good thing and if they did get it to start the test they would run wouldnt be able to pick up honey until it locked up the engine by then it wold be too late

georgesanjose…we have notified them however in the are of my work thats the last thing on there list ;( they are doing that and then some and im hoping i wont have a rough ride at all this is a big investment for me my first brand new car a little rough ride would cause a lot of tears from me

Do you always keep your car locked?

I’m still curious about the oil level. The Recall mentioned is for a burning smell due to oil so that does bring that issue into play.

i have searched high and low about this and can not find anyone who can answer me

To be honest, you’ve found many people right here who have answered you. You’re upset because none of us have answered you in the way that you want - that being, recommending that you demand a brand new car for free.

I’m sorry to say, you are unlikely to get such an answer from automotive-knowledgeable people. You’ve already driven hundreds of miles with the honey. Presumably, you turned the car off some time during those 600 or so miles. If the honey were going to cool down and crystallize in the cylinders, it would have done so already. But it hasn’t, and it won’t. In the first place, honey does not crystallize until it’s been in the bottle for a long time. Gasoline would further inhibit the crystallization.

Second, we are talking about a level of honey in the cylinders (even assuming it got past the fuel filter, which it didn’t) that is so low as to not even qualify as homeopathic.

The person who told you this either doesn’t know what he’s talking about, or is seeing huge dollar signs from a hopefully gullible customer. Or, to put it more bluntly, he’s trying to make you his accomplice in his insurance fraud scheme.

If someone tells you they tasted “honey” inside your fuel tank you should be more worried about the reliablity of the parts of the car he touched rather than the rest of the vehicle.

There may be some contaminate inside your fuel tank but I never heard of the honey fairy.

shadowfax…you are right i am upset because im getting a million a one stories and there all diffrent im trying to protect the large investment i have in this car and the fact that im not getting what i want even from the tech thats working on my care is 100% no its not in there and what ive gotten is the car is now fixed and running fine and unless we take the engine apart we wont be able to find out unless you have problems down the road and asking for a “free car” even im not the stupid and i know id take a hit however at this point a hit now is better than a lager hit later it did get past the filters right into the injectors that shoot the gas into the engine now tell me how none of it got into the engine…anyway i thank everyone for there information and help

Because it didn’t get past the filters right into the injectors. They lied to you to make money, and it worked. Even if it did get into the injectors (which would require that it completely liquify, which according to a beekeeper friend would require that your gas be at 100 degrees, which is not going to happen in January), it burned and went right out the tailpipe. Anyone saying otherwise is lying to you to make money.

“Boy, when you start a post with “honey”, you get a lot of interest.”

More than “vinegar”…

The injectors also have a very, very fine mesh screen in them as a last stop and I don’t buy the part about the engine being destroyed by honey anyway.

The idea that someone would stand there in the wintertime and wait forever while somewhat expensive honey rolls down the filler neck like cold tar is mind boggling to me; especially when sugar or sand could be used in seconds.

I’m still wondering if the car is garaged, kept locked, etc. because that raises the issue of how someone opened the gas cap filler lid and allegedly sabotaged the tank with honey.

ok4450 my car is not kept in the garage nor do i have a lock on my gas cap there is no lever to pull or a button to push located inside the car… i work nights on the weekend so my car is parked in the lot while im inside which would give anyone lots of time to do whatever and why honey i have no idea honestly dont care anymore why or who im out the money and im guessing thats all someone wanted

Consider getting a locking gas cap.

If the car is running fine now then I wouldn’t worry about it future problems from it; unless someone comes back for a second try.

Maybe I’m dead wrong, but this is so weird and time consumng to accomplish that I might suspect something more personal than a random event.

keith i did and there are no locking gas caps made for this car as of now

ok4450 i got the car back and the smell im getting is even worse than before i took it in my nose started to burn and made my belly feel sick also its not as smooth as it was before and the lag time is terrible as it shifts into gears so it will be going back into the shop in the morning…also i know who did this to my car and it was personal i notifed the police however i have no proof so they will not do anything to him and im stuck paying however much ill be out by the end of this and im sure that was his goal

All I can add is that if the shop is going to charge an arm and leg for sorting this mess out they need to get it right. There’s no way they should hand the car back to you in this condition.

As to a potential legal matter, can’t help there either. There are a lot of issues that are not high priority for law enforcement and this may be one of them. Short of the police checking for fingerprints on the gas cap/lid or a security camera catching something I have no ideas.

Sorry I can’t be of more help, but best of luck on this. :frowning:

I think it’s time to consider legal avenues of redress. I’m wondering now that you’ve commented on the smell if this car was transported in from the NJ area…after having been exposed to floodwaters.

To see the effect sugar has on a running engine just throw some sugar into a fire, or better yet, onto hot coals. Sugar burns furiously under the right conditions, and leaves a very gooey carbon residue. When it cools it’s not gooey any more, just a solid chunk.

In the old days, I was told, sugar in the tank could result in so much carbon the engine couldn’t even turn over, but this would only show up after the engine had been shut off long enough for the carbon to cool and solidify in the combustion chambers. It showed no symptoms whatever until that point.

Having said that I think it would take a LOT of honey to do any lasting damage, and I don’t know if any of it at all would make it through today’s filters. But if there was any damage to be done, it would have happened long ago and you’d already know about it.

That isn’t complete combustion, Jay. That’s carmelization, which can be delicious, but isn’t going to happen in an engine. If you really want to see what’s going to happen to sugar in a gas tank, make simple syrup (50/50 ratio of syrup to water heated while stirring constantly) and then put it into a high-pressure, low volume paint sprayer. Aim short bursts at a blast furnace. See how much sugar is left :wink:

I think the smell is a bigger concern. Couple that with the amount of work that the dealer apparently willingly did on the vehicle and with their highly-suspect “honey” story, and something is seriously wrong here that goes well beyond operating failure.

Seriously, I’d take this vehicle to an independant shop and have it evaluated for evidence of having been flooded. If evidnec of such exists, I’d contact an attourney and the State Atty General’s office. At that point there’d be evidnce of what might be illegal activity and I’d be looking for a replacement vehicle.

If no evidence of such exists, I’d begin looking into the state’s lemon laws and compiling a file on the problems.

“That isn’t complete combustion, Jay. That’s carmelization, which can be delicious, but isn’t going to happen in an engine. If you really want to see what’s going to happen to sugar in a gas tank, make simple syrup (50/50 ratio of syrup to water heated while stirring constantly) and then put it into a high-pressure, low volume paint sprayer. Aim short bursts at a blast furnace. See how much sugar is left ;)”

NOT correct. It’s complete combustion. Total. Look at the molecular makeup of cane sugar, C6 H12 O6. It’s carbon and water. When it burns it leaves pure carbon and the water goes away as steam.

I used to throw packets of sugar onto hot coals all the time as a kid. It’s pretty amusing. Very intense flame leaving only a liquid form of gooey carbon. As the water boils away it becomes solid, and hard as a rock when cool.