Honda Fit 2007 running without O2 sensor

Can’t say . . .

In other words, we can’t legally tell you to remove the cat, ream it out with a broom handle or piece of rebar, and reinstall it. However, that would allow your car to run normally, while you scrape together the funds for a proper repair.

1 Like

I do not know if there is a worry about the materials in a catalytic converter being hazardous. Rent a car until it gets fixed?

1 Like

Haha well there’s nothing more I hate than asking people advice in a forum and then never coming back to update, so here we go! Indeed the catalytic converter needed to be replaced after puttering to the auto shop. He wanted Way too much so I did it myself and after a lot of grinding cursing and screwing I got the new one on there over a couple of weekends and saved a thousand bucks. One of the spring bolts broke while taking it out so I watched every video on YouTube and I bought two different screw extractor kits on Amazon, both of them worthless, but luckily also bought a 5/16 cobalt Bosch drill bit and a 90° Drill attachment as plan b, so hollowed the baby out put on the new spring bolt with 2 nuts holding it and took off the vice grips that were holding it on that side, (and surprisingly well I might add).
The new catalytic converter is a little bit louder than the old one but not by much, but it does have a little rattle sometimes when shifting at higher RPMs. I think it may be due to the connection from the manifold to the cat not being ideal. The graphite donut that came with the aftermarket cat did not fit onto the manifold pipe so I had to buy a smaller one from Napa that fit. When I gave it the shake test it seem solid but I also notice I over tightened one of the spring bolts due to not stopping in the drilled out hole. Had to think about that one could it do some damage? Going to try to loosen to see if that helps, but it’s really not that loud and it’s running zippy again. Notice it’s chugging some gas but have to clock the mileage to be sure.
I realize the cat got damaged going over a speedbump at my old apartment and scraping it every time. I had no idea if you bent the cat the inside would crumble but now I know! Ha ha about the rebar and broom handle I was going to do that but I heard flames would shoot out of the backAnd would be very loud so I was able to chug until my part arrived and had some time. I figured a Honda fit shooting flames would be pretty comical.

1 Like

I think only one cat on my Honda Fit. Downstream manifold cat

I fixed it and chugged along only dying occasionally inside. There are no car rental places I live in woods :nerd_face:

Modern folklore much like being surrounded by a squad of EPA agents after removing a catalytic convertor.

Cars before 1975 did not have catalytic convertors, people removed the mufflers and did not have flames emitting from the tailpipes.